Widening the Audience

How can we improve this forum, and the site as a whole?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Widening the Audience

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys

has anyone any ideas, apart from the engine submision, of how we can get the site to a wider audience. As far as I am aware, there are thousdands of zebra fans out there, but ony a minimal amount will knwo the site, or even forum, exists.

Any ideas

rob
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Rob ...will post it on classified...........maybe get a few more members
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
Adam

Post by Adam »

How about an Ad on Google, I believe that you only pay per hit to your site. May not be a good idea if you are running on a budget, I am not sure of the costs involved. Some new blood would be great.

Just an idea. :D
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

The other thing that i ahve found useful for gaining an increased number of hits on sites tht i have desugned is to increase the number of links to other sites. Just a thought. Perhaps get some banners made up etc. :D
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

For a limited target audience like this, the easiest method would be to change your signature to a graphic advertising the site that's small and tasteful and then post on the board at PC and plecofanatics, IMO. That's direct marketing to the people that will be interested anyway, without swiping clientelle in general, as both places have a very wide user base and interest are, as opposed to the specialty approach.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
texguppyman

Post by texguppyman »

I think Barbie has something there and she practices what she preaches it appears. :D
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Actually that's been my sig for years, everywhere I post, it was just recently completely redone when I took on a partner :). It does work, and it allows you to not offend anyone by actually inviting away members.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
DasArab
Obsessed!!

Post by DasArab »

You want an honest opinion? Well I think its nice to keep it small. We could start advertizing all over but all that will happen is that we'll get numptys!!!!
"Hi there Ive a spare 2 gallon goldfish bowl and wiz wonderin if i can keep like 3 of these cool Zebra thingys in ma tank? Im no goiny bother with a filter, heater or lights cause they cost money"
Me and Pt see it all the time at BP forum.
Hey can i keep Discus with my 2 BP's?
No you cant, No, no, no nope, definalty not, no no.
Hey folks just bought 2 Discus and stuck them in with my BP's.

There doing fine, oh and btw i dont use RO water either
Concidering how long your sites been going i think your doing verywell for members, you've got to remember that Zebras are a very specalized species and anyone intent on keeping them will find this site through searching the net or by word of mouth.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

good point ewee. :lol:

Barbie, I think you hit the nail on the head with your logo.. That will probably be th first port of call.

Cheers guy's your input is really appreciated.

rob
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Hey Rob

you called also put a feature were people could donate money also to help the running costs , people wouldnt have to donate a lot, or anything at all just what they wanted to donate just an idea?

I know im going off the subject a bit but i think it would be a great idea that has already been mentioned about a gallery off all the members tanks. zebby tanks as well as other fish tanks as i find it fasinating to look at other peoples masterpeices as well as to nick a few ideas :wink: and i have just bought a new digital camera so i cant wait to snap some good picys of my tanks to show others.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers Dan

As far as running costs go, its not a problem at the moment, (alhtough we're still in the process of renovating a derelict house, so it could be handy :twisted: )

As for the gallery, it is in the pipeline as we speak. I'm meeting up with the guy who runs simplenet on the 5th to finalise things.....so watch this space!

rob
Adam

Post by Adam »

Very good point there Ewee. Unfortunately numptys as you so aptly put it get around a bit I had one visit me about two months ago. He was collecting a PC that I had repaired for him, it was a real mess I had to format the damn thing and re-install XP as the registry was so corrupted. This should have given me an inkling as to what I was dealing with. He spotted my community tank and was full of admiration, he went over to my tank and began tapping the glass. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I promptly told him to stop as he was scaring the fish all of whom were cowering in one corner of the tank. The funny thing is he appeared to be more upset than me!!

The numb skull phoned me up a couple of days later about a problem he was having with his laptop. I couldn't resist I advised him that tapping the screen fairly hard should fix the problem and hung up the phone. He hasn't phoned back since, I guess the dumb @$$ got the message. :evil: :evil:
forumadmin
Site Admin

Money

Post by forumadmin »

I like the running costs idea ;-)