if you've breed Zebras post here, if trying then browse here

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Leigh Freeman
Forum Follower

if you've breed Zebras post here, if trying then browse here

Post by Leigh Freeman »

I have had 6 Zebras (3X Male and 3X Female) for about a year now and have not shown any signs of breeding. If you've breed them please provide as much information on tank setups, conditions, feeding and methods etc. that you have had success with in order to help both me and any others who can't seem to get it right.
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

Probably not any more info than others have said in the past, but this is what I did.

I set up a trio in a 20 long, a few terra cotta pots, some coarse sand and hooked up a HOT magnum, just for current no filter material except for a pre-filter on the inlet screen. Water temp was 85, I fed them every day frozen blood worms, pellets and mysis shrimp. I swapped out a terra cotta cave for a home made slate cave, and the male moved right in.

I bought another fish and added it to the mix. I was performing weekly small water changes 20% or so. A month later I did some water changes with distilled water (I get it from the lab) and cooled it down to 82. I started feeding once every other day.

A couple weeks after that a female moved in for 5 days and laid eggs, that was Sept 9th of this year. I currently have counted 6 fry, with more in the cave with Dad and another female 8) . From the day I got the original fish, which people told me were 2 males':roll:', it was about 2.5 months

Some incidentals:

The tanks length runs east to west and so does the current.

I light the tank with a 13W compact fluorescent, 12 hours.

The tanks gets a little natural sunlight early in the morning but not for long.

I test for nothing :oops: , I never have, I look at the fish all the time.

Hope that helps
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

That is pretty funny Alga, I feed mine the same thing! And I also have my tank water running from east to west! maybe thats the secret! :D