Male or Female?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Male or Female?

Post by NeoCult »

Need to know a definate sex for these 2 please :wink:

10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

nr2 female ;)
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Both Female?
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

both i would say were female
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

:lol: :wink: :D :D :D :D

alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

If those ar even close to full grown adults I would say they are both female also. 8)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Two lovely ladies :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Yes :wink: at last lol i shall have them in a week or so's time :wink: cant wait!!

Had to decide on getting rid of 2 males tho :cry: and i dunno what 2 i want rid off waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :cry:

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

two lovely ladies
Just realised that sounded bit strange.....how about....

"Two fine specimens of female hypancistrus zebra" :lol: :lol:
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

lol ok

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Neo

I'm sure you got my PM, but I ( at the risk of making myself out o be a freak) recognise those two zebras. I seem to recollect the same phot somewhere else, i.e the pebbles and teh plastic tub.

I'll do a wee bit of digging.

rob
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

these looks like young fish maybe even small fish unless you have the exact size of the fish it is hard to descern from the photographs plus the first fish has a damaged left fin, I hope this fish din't come straight from South America because the cup it's photographed in has a word "2.800 M CAPACIDAD" unless Scotland uses the same word for Capacity. and that pebble looks more like a gravel to me. anyways congratulations on the new fish
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I know what you mean zebra046, but both the top fish shows signs of scarring on the top pectorial fin, which would indicate an older fish.

There is also quite a bit of short odontodal growth on the pectorial fins.

well spotted with the "Capacity", Neo has been approache dby someone wishing to sell these ish in the UK. I thought I reconised the phot, and thought it may well be a scam, i.e j. bloggs taking random pics off the internet etc..etc.

I must admit however thta my mind appears to be playing tricks on me as I cannot find the pictures.

I suggest you give the guy selling these fish a good quizing to their origin and current condition.

Good luck, and I'l keep my fingures crossed for you.

rob
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

If this is the case the owner of the said fish is not taking good care of the fish a supposed older female surely shows more odontoidal growth but they are a lot more plump even after they have just spawned and if this is a new import w/c the ban took effect Jan. of this year it does not take that long to condition or even take care of an expensive and rare fish, normally malnourished fish looks like this, the fin size and body size is not proportional maybe it's just me.

when sellecting fish for future breeders it is better to start out with healthy fish if given a choice just like these young 7 month old fry's
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I do agree Zebra046, the fish are undoubtedly malnourished, all the more reason to get them into a better environment.

I think Neo said that the guy had had them for 8 months, in which case they should look better. There is no reason however that fish cannot be brought back to full health, (excluding any obvious scarring)

rob