HELP-SOS-HELP!!!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Caesars
Obsessed!!

HELP-SOS-HELP!!!!!

Post by Caesars »

Before you stroll down, please note: PHOTO OF WOUNDED FISH!!!!

OK, I am dead annoyed with myself - I have been SOOOO stupid but here is what happened:

I was re-arrranging the tank to put some more caves in and I took out a hard plastic ornament (the only one in the tank) to get to the slate. The ornament was hollow inside at some parts so I shook it (as a precaution) but I heard nothing so I left it on the lid next to me. Next thing I know, I hear noise inside - plec!!! I check and here he is .. I immediately placed it back in the water thinking it was one of my youngsters who got trapped. I shook it, tipped it to one side and put food, but the "youngster" wouldn't come out. I thought he was trapped - so I went and took a pair of massive garden shears to break the ... thing open and free him. Unfortunately, the ornament was only part hollow so I had to keep clipping from whichever angle I could while it was under the water .. anyway as I was clipping top and bottom with the thing in the tank .. CALAMITY! I clipped part of the youngster's nose with the shears. There was now enough space for him to move out, but he wouldn't - so I thought he passed away or something. I proceeded however - and he eventually got out! I was very surprised to see he was one of my male bristlenoses (not big, but fair size). I took the ornament to the kitchen to throw it away - and under the kitchen downlighters (they are very strong) I see FRY!!!
The guy was not stuck - he was guarding his babies, which is why he wouldn't come out!!!

He is now in the tank, but very uncomfortable (he keeps waging his pectoral and dorsal fins) and he keeps returning to the spot that his spawning "nest" had been. There is a UV steriliser and an ozoniser in the tank, so the water is reasonably sterilised. Question:
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP HIM? WILL HE MAKE IT?

Question 2: Anything I can do for the fry AND the eggs (other than the usual)? I always had my bristlenoses breeding in the tank, I never took the fry away, and they always did fine!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

PICTURES BELOW:

P.S. I also got a picture of the bit that got chopped off but I will not post it unless it is of any help, in which case please ask!!!
husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Post by husky_jim »

As i told you i am not so sure if putting him in a carantine tank will help cause it might stress him more....another thought is to place him in your sump (if there is space) in order not to get bitten by the larger plecs you have there......
I also suggest to put in the tank some Melafix along with Pimafix in order to prevent some external infections...

Keep us updated Marina![/i]
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Jim, I just checked. Daddy moved to his non-spawning location and he is not wagging his pectoral and dorsal fins anymore. Colour seems better. Fry are fine, two more hatched. I am not sure the other plecs will bite him, they are not aggressive towards one another, if anything they may chase him. I will keep checking on him every hour for tonight - and see how he is tomorrow. Any ideas for the wound? The sump is an excellent idea, plenty of space (about 200 litres clear). I will try catch him tomorrow and put him there. What would happen if I put him in with the fry in the hatcher tomorrow?
Last edited by Caesars on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Post by husky_jim »

Caesars wrote:Jim, I just checked. Daddy moved to his non-spawning location and his is not wagging his tail anymore. Colour seems better. Fry are fine, two more hatched. I am not sure the other plecs will bite him, they are not aggressive towards one another, if anything they may chase him. I will keep checking on him every hour for tonight - and see how he is tomorrow. Any ideas for the wound? The sump is an excellent idea, plenty of space (about 200 litres clear). I will try catch him tomorrow and put him there. What would happen if I put him in with the fry in the hatcher tomorrow?
I don't believe that he will have any problem to the 'hatchery' tank but i suggest that if tommorow morning is better,don't move him...

I hope your guy be better....
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

My fish don't seem to like the pima fix / melafix combination. I am not sure why.

Plecos can be really hard to remove from items which is one reason I also got rid of all hollow plastic oramants. It is also a reason I tried so hard to come up with a way to make removable tops on the caves
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Well he wasn't stuck, he was defending his babies ... he was out and about this morning but the minute I tried to go anywhere near him to put some antiseptic solution on the wound he disappeared faster than the speed of light and I haven't seen him sinse! And that is a fish that pokes around my hand when I am syphoning ...

Melafix / pimafix work ok with me - try using 1/2 or 3/4 of the recommended dose, that is what I do.

Will keep you posted, fry look good, they are starting to get some pigmentation on them now