Raising zebras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

fishboy
Groupie

Raising zebras

Post by fishboy »

Hi, I have the chance to get 8 baby 1.25 inch zebras. Don't know how old they are though. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to sex them from the time they hatch and how long it would take these babies to reach a sexable size. Also they same for breeding.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi fishboy.

Sorry I missed this one.

This is a tricky question as until they reach maturity they are difficult to sex. It is easier to sex the fish if you also know it's age. For example a older female, can have similar characteristics to a young male.

Personally I am trying to sex zebras at about 20months - 2 years old, based on curvature of the pectorial fins. At this age it it too early to identify it by the odontodes or vents.

To identify a fish 100% I would say the fish needs to be at least 3 years old. This also, as stated previously, depends on having a rough idea the age of the fish.

As far as breeding goes, I would suggest males, 3.5 - 4 years, and females 2.5 - 3 years.

If a fish is approximately 1.25 inches long I would think it would be about 12 -15 months old.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

I have luckly come across a guy who is willing to sell me 5 adult wild zebras for $1300. They are 2.74-3 inches and he said he has had them for 1-1.5 years. What do you think, are they breedable size yet, or even sexable size.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Great Job!! I see you everywhere looking for some zebras!!! Those should be ready to spawn and sex! Maybe not 100% but will get you a rough idea! Did you pick these up from the sale on aquabid right now?
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

No, I am getting them from PlecoFanatic123. I am getting all of his. The only way is if my parents just won't let me. My brother has the money, it is the shipping thing. I will post pics when I get them, which should be next week or the week after next.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

LOL....Yea thats him....He is also selling one on Aquabid! i think he is selling his babies as well! Thats a great price for 5 zebras and they are a breeding pair in there! If I were you ask him to take pics of his tank, waht filters he used, his turn over rate, water parameters and ask him since your buying so many if he can include the caves that they spawned in! :wink: That will surely give you a head start!
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

He has never spawned them he said, and the tank the are in isn't for breeding. So what do you think, can I trust him.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I'd ask him/her to send pictures if possible. When your spending that kind of money i don't think it's out of order to request photos of what you are intending to buy and if he's willing, ask him to send a picture of the tank thay have been in.
To be honest, if your intending to purchase through post..then your always going to be left wondering 'can i trust him/her', which is why I don't. I always travel to see the purchaser in person...although that is a benefit of living on a small island compared to the USA, where obviously it isn't always viable.
Having said that I've just checked their user profile and it could be construde as somewhat dubious.

ps. it also looks like he is infact a she or at least the email address provided starts with staciemum@....

Only 4 posts, 1 requesting advice on the best food for zeb fry, 1 asking to purchase zeb fry from another user, 1 looking for a female zeb as she has too many males and 1 post selling an adult zeb.

Make of it what you will, but my thoughts are she hasn't been able to breed them, and she has too many males and/or no females.

However, I think you'd be extremely lucky to get a breeding pair from one single seller so cheap. so it might be worth purchasing a couple from this user and trying to find another couple of zebs from another seller.

just my 2 cents.

edited to add: the profile was from plecofanatics, not zebrapleco.
Last edited by Plastic Mac on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

It is a he. I talked to him on the phone. I have asked for proof that he has them. I am going ot get all of his, since they aren't breeding size, and if I get to many males I will look for females. Hlow does this sound.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

To be honest, if it sounds good to you then do it. It's up to you to decide whether this is a deal worth pursuing or not.

If your happy to pay the stated amount of cash for 6 potential males which are too small to breed yet, then great, go for it.

either way, good luck :D

Plastic Mac
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

I'm getting 5 fish, and 2.75-3 inches They should be breeding inm a few months. And I am sure someone will trade 4 males for 2 females if I get all males. And he says that he can't sex them. And his aquabid feedback is pretty good, the negative one is he doesn'yt reply emails, which isn't the case with me.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

This is the guy right?
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/show ... hp?t=12548
It says he selling his babies! So maybe he has another group that is spawning for him??? Just be careful and this guy actually emailed me back, so he seems pretty cool....but just be careful! And I think he doesnt take paypal???? Ask him all the questions you can think of!! And if he only takes Western Union, Cashier Checks than try to do the 50% up front and 50% after you inspected the zebras!
Good luck!