"Free" Zebras, UK.

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Adam

"Free" Zebras, UK.

Post by Adam »

I found this link while on AC.

This chap is looking to give his breeding trio of zebras away for nothing, only those with a noble cause need apply.

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/f ... ic_840.php

Adam
Last edited by Adam on Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

ive added my bit, hopefully someone on here whos into the breed more than the money may get them
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
snr69
Obsessed!!

yes :-)

Post by snr69 »

I found that too.... bit frustrating when I am looking to start breeding them .... and that he won't see to private individuals...

but a noble jesture... :-)
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

snr69 it sure is and i really hope they go to someone willing to do whats best for the breed and not their pocket, id love to take them and get them in with my own group of Zebs but may not be lucky enough
Last edited by NeoCult on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Eyeball_Paul
Forum Follower

Post by Eyeball_Paul »

Hi

They are my Zebras, it was I that started the thread.

I have contacted a few public and education aquatics places and am having a think.

It would be great to setup some sort of non-for-profit group for this.

Paul
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Hi and welcome to the forum!!!

is it ok to pm you?
Last edited by NeoCult on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eyeball_Paul
Forum Follower

Post by Eyeball_Paul »

Sure, PM away.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Pm sent :wink:

Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Paul,

I thought it might be you although I wasn't sure. How are the youngsters coming along? Well I hope.

I have just replied to your message from the classifieds site although it was before I came here so didn't realise it was you. Having only met you twice I realise you have a vast wealth of experience so I am sure you'll make the right choice. :)

Personally speaking all zebra plec owners should do all they can to breed these fish, not to release into the wild but to circulate them within the hobby. This will help to reduce the need to import anymore Zebras helping natural stocks that are left (if there are any). Obviously there is the small matter of a dam to worry about. Sadly we can only do our bit here in the UK and It has been said many times "The love of money is the root of all evils".

That said, I would happily care for your fish and try to breed them. You can have my word I wouldn't sell any of the youngsters but I'm sure everyone will say that. :wink: I too sold my last three Zebras approx 18 months ago due to problems outside my control in terms of housing them. I would have kept them if I could but hear at least Diane (from Derby) has got them breeding with the aid of one of my males "You snooze, you loose" I think were her exact words. :roll: :wink: I will get a pair breeding one day. :D

All the best

Tom
Eyeball_Paul
Forum Follower

Post by Eyeball_Paul »

Hey Tom nice to hear from you.

Well as far as private owners go, you are at the top of the list!

I am going to look at putting them into some nfp breeding program for a while and try and make some time to breed them once again to give some fry away (awaits emails requests!) - I hadn't forgotten your request in any case.

I actually have more than 3 zebras (some from a forum colleague that I haven't been able to breed yet) but it is a shame to see these just sitting there.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Paul,

I know your busy, but you obviously have the knack of breeding fish. I suppose my best advice would be for you to keep hold of them for as long as you can, and as you say get as many of the resulting youngsters out to people you know who will treat them right and hopefully get more youngsters and so on. :D

The amount of dead Zebra stories I have heard from people who have the money but not a clue on keeping and breeding these fish really is a shame. At least in your care they should thrive until you have the opportunity to breed them.

Cheers

Tom
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Glad to hear your gonna have a go at breeding them :wink: please keep us informed on the progress and good luck :D

snr69
Obsessed!!

:-)

Post by snr69 »

The important thing is to protect the breed, and ensure that many more in the hobby can enjoy these great fish.

So I hope these go to a good breeding programme that will increase availability and reduce the price to all :-)

Good luck and hope you find a good home for them...

Simon
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Everything u say is true for many of us but!! as people now have seen the way to make an easy buck they will do until the LFS reduce there prices ( which will be in a long long time once the ban has been lifted ) but well done and good luck with your zebras
Eyeball_Paul
Forum Follower

Post by Eyeball_Paul »

Did I read somewhere recently that the ban is unlikely to be lifted as their home habitat is in real danger?