Baby pics! You asked for it!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Baby pics! You asked for it!

Post by Mindy »

Look at these cuties!! :D

They are growing much faster than I expected. They seem well developed for their age compared to the pictures in the breeding section. Or is this just my imagination?

And to give you an idea of their size...
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

the little monsters are looking great Mindy, your doing a good job! :wink:
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
Adam

Post by Adam »

They are looking great Mindy, keep up the good work.

You'll find that some fry in the same batch will have different growth rates, a couple of my fry are almost double the size of their brothers and sisters. You might have some fast growers there. :wink:

Adam
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Great pics Mindy, they look really cute. :)

What are you feeding them?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I'm not feeding them at the moment. They are living off their yolk sacs. I'll feed them when that's gone. Not sure what yet... probably crushed prima and catfish pellets as that's what the parents were eating when they spawned. I'll feed baby brine shrimp when the time comes too.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

D'oh, I meant the parents!! :oops:
snr69
Obsessed!!

Post by snr69 »

They look amazing :-)

well done :-)

Simon
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Took some more pics tonight. They are so gorgeous! :D
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

wow mindy, they are coming on great! You should be so proud of them :D Do you have them in with the parents or are they in a grow out tank now? Agree with Adam on the growth rate, if I didn't know my baby bristlenoses were coming from one batch I wouldn't believe it myself - some of them have massively outgrown their brothers and sisters.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Don't they grow quickly :D I'm proud of you and my auntibabies :D Good luck with them and X to each of the little darlings :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Can anyone tell if I need to start feeding them yet? To look at them, they seem to have a smidge of egg sac left, but I can't be sure... The one stuck to the side seems to be showing his belly, which would seem to indicate no egg sac, but I'm unsure.

Should I begin trying to feed them little bits now and see if they're interested? Advice please!

It's all been pretty easy up to now as they can take care of themselves pretty much... but soon it will be up to me to make sure they're fed. I want to get it right!

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

WHe-hey!!!

COngrats Mindy...what.....I'm so chuffed for you! How ghlad are you that you kept that male!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They look fantastic, although I did spend 2 weeks sitting by my mobile instead of the pool in Portugal waiting to see if there was a spawn!!!!
:wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Mindy,

I would start putting food down for them in the next day or two. Problem is some fry absorb their yolk sac quicker than others. When the yellow colouring has disappeared from their stomachs they are ready to start feeding. To be on the safe side I start feeding just before, if they are still living off their yolk sacs they will not feed anyway. You will know if they start to feed as their stomachs will darken in colour.

Hope this helps.

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

If that was last night they will probably be eating by Sat night. To be on the safe side however, I would put a couple bits of tetra prima in tonight and take them out in the morning.

The Key now is to make sure they always have fresh food available at the early stages. feeding them a little often if the best bet. You will probably find that they will go through a tetra prima grain each easy.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Thanks for the advice guys... :)

Someone is sending me some microworm culture too. Have any of you ever tried this?