Just a thought....

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Just a thought....

Post by Plastic Mac »

It occured to me the other day, wouldn't it be interesting to know the total amount of zebras owned by users of this forum...even broken down by country, ie the total owned by the UK or USA owners, of which we could state how many males and females each person has, ot ht ebest of our knowledge anyway.
It might be interesting to find out if as a total we have an 80-20% ratio of males to females or some such figure....

If people are interested in knowing, I'll start.

My collection now stands at 5. Of which I believe I have 3 males and 2 females.

It also occured to me that, at least for people attempting to breed, that it would be interesting to fill in a detailed questionaire about tank size, filtration, temp, number of caves per fish, which substrate used etc etc...
We might find some interesting statistics about peoples set-ups. The basic premise of the idea would be to try and narrow down the conditions of a successful set-up for breeding zebs, especially if we know the differences between people who have been successful at breeding and those how haven't yet. We might find those who have been successful are doing something similar, which we don't believe to be an important factor in breeding, compared to those who aren't doing whatever it is and have not been succesful yet.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

10 Zebs Various Sizes And Ages (Unknown Sex Mostly)

Juwel Rio 125 Tank

Standard Juwel Double Lighting & Moonlight System For Night

Juwel 3D? Background

Sand Substrate

12 Caves (Various Styles)

Small Rockpile

Piece Of Bogwood

4 Small Plants

Eheim 2224 External filter

Fluval 4 Internal Filter

Marina Aqua Minder System Thing (Monitors Temp and Other Stuff)

Temp = 86 F
PH = 7
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0

Usefull?? maybe to some.....
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Isn't this kind of stats, at least partly, going to be part of the new website?
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

I have

12 adults (8 Male 4 Female I Think)

40 fry

Hagen Fluval 1200 Tank

Eheim 2329 Thermo Filter

Black Sand Substrate

9 Caves

Temp Kept at 83* (Until 25% Water Change, Cold Water From The Tap)

PH 7
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

McEve wrote:Isn't this kind of stats, at least partly, going to be part of the new website?
I have no idea, like i said it was just an idea that had been going round my head and seemed kind if interesting. If your right though, that would be great though :D

I was however, thinking we'd just put quantites of males and females down here and for the specifics on breeding we'd do it as a word document or something. Which would then need collating by someone and then present the statistics for everyone to view...otherwise if everyone writes their stuff down here it'll be very hard to get an over all idea of how people are going about breeding them.
If it's created as a word document or something we can then be extremely specific about certain things and we know everyone has answered the same questions...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I believe there is a database planned for the new website where people can register all these data, just for the purpose you outline :) As I understand it members can then search the database to get this statistics.

I might have misunderstood though, wouldn't be the first time :lol:
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

In which case, we might as well wait till the new site comes out and see what it has been plannedr :D