The more hiding places the better?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

The more hiding places the better?

Post by McEve »

About 3 months ago I rearranged my tanks. Giving my groups lots of hiding places in the form of slate, plants, rocks and bog wood, taking great care in dividing the tanks into different areas where the males could form their own territories. I was puzzled about the fact that none of the males seemed to want to occupy any of the caves in on of the tanks, but thought they would eventually.

Since then the adults got skinnier, even though they got the same amount of food as before, and two of the frys literally shrunk. A headcount revealed that I had the same number of fry as before, but two of them seemed like they must have been new spawns (ref earlier thread on this subject (I no longer think they were new)), and the caves in tank nr two was never claimed by any of the males.

I never saw them eating, which was a new experience for me, as my Zebras always was very visible, and eating out in the open wether the lights were on or not. Those of you that have followed the development of things on the webcams will remember this.

Today I rearranged the tanks again. Removed quite a lot of slate and stone, and left only two-three hiding places for the females and frys. It would be more as the bog wood itself would provide several hiding places, but only 2-3 planned ones :)

Now that I have removed lots of rocks, tile, and trimmed the overgrown plants down, suddenly I see frys and adults eating again, I see caves occupied in the second tank, and they all seem to be a lot more together and interactive - without fighting mind you, just swimming around eating and looking genereally quite content.

So - my questions is this: is it necessarily a truth that the more hiding places the better, or have you found, as it seems to me, that less decor might be beneficial? What is your experinces in this regard?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Interesting observation McEve. I have no idea why that should be. All I can add is that my tank is quite bare. Three caves and two pieces of bogwood with a few bits of slate thrown in for good measure. And six zebras (in a 30" tank). I have not witnessed any real aggression (yet) amongst my zebs and they eat well.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I've been wondering about this ever since I got my Zebra's a few weeks ago.

At present I've got 10 caves and 3 large pieces of bogwood, one of which is covered with java fern. I've also added a few large pieces of slate and made a two tiered level using the caves. There seems to be enough hiding places for them but I can't help thinking in the back of my mind that it needs more.

There hasn't been any kind of squabbling to worry about, although my zebra's aren't fully grown, and they all seem to be eating well so I'm taking this as a good sign.

I'm gonna post a pic of my tank in fishy photos soon so you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

My tank has lots and lots of hiding places and I recently added more. That doesn't affect the eating habits of the fish though. I would suggest that your zebs may have been just less visible due to the decor, but as you say they were losing weight that cannot be the case. That is certainly a first one for me!
Robbert
Groupie

Post by Robbert »

I had several groups ranging from 2 to 4 animals (one male, female some smaller un sexible ones) in small tanks.. without a lot of hiding places... they didn't eat so well and were far from active..
made the groups bigger as wel as the tank and really stuffed the bottom with broken flower pots (uhm do you know what I mean??) some wood and caves.. no they really seem to do better.. more active really eating well etc etc..
best wishes Robbert
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hmm Interesting [scratches head]. Both of my main breeding tanks have just once cave each. The rest of the decor is made up of slates etc. There is one dominant male in each , and the remaining fish only stay around the slated area. These tanks are breedingn just fine. My new set-up however, ( I say new but it has been going for about ayear now), has many breeding caves, but I am having very little luck with them. I'll remove some caves tonight and let you know how I get on.

Rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"