Food for zebras?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Discusion
Forum Follower

Food for zebras?

Post by Discusion »

What do you feed the zebras?

I`m feeding with blodworms, "frozen bull heart" and Tetra`s dry food for catfish and discus. But I`m trying too improve the diet for the zebras :lol:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Blood worms iare excellent. Lots of nutrients and gets them in good breeding condition. If fed too often however ( I would say more than 3 times a week), they can cause problems in the intestinal tract of the fish.

Tetra Prima (or DISCUS Prima), is a good all rounder, plus the odd wee bit of corgette. I've even heard of people feeding them the occasional Pea, although I've never been able to get the little critters to sink! :lol:
Cedus

Post by Cedus »

I use bloodworms, artemia and tetra prima discus.
But I think they will eat everything I put in tank :D

Post by Guest »

I feed mine bloodworm and sinking catfish pellets, have had no luck getting them to try prima as it is still there every morning. Have just put some more in the tank following other comments in this section.
Robert Hadath
Forum Follower

Food

Post by Robert Hadath »

I have a terrible alergy to bloodworms. (Almost died ) Throat closed up could not breath and eyes swollen shut, so....

I feed Hikari catfish pellets, raw shrimp, and Mysis shrimp to the adults.

I raise fry on the catfish pellets, and mysis shrimp.

No bloodworms for my fish :shock:
clint8
Forum Follower

Food

Post by clint8 »

Hi guys,

Well i feed my beloved 46's.....frozen bloodworm's, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, live blackworm's (treated with myaxin prior to feed), pea mix (own recipe), Sera bits for discus, Colorbits, high protein granules, hikari algae wafers..... :roll:
Also do my own beef heart mix but never tried!!!!!But will definetely add to my menu for the Zeb's!!! :?

Cheers,
Clint
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Has anyone tried mussels? as the guy in the shop said they like them ive given it a go but i havent seen any off them eat it
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Mine are getting home made shrimp/pea/carrot/squash mix, chopped maggots, Tetra Discus, bloodworms and artemia.

They look nice and fat so I guess they're getting the nutrients they need :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Rob wrote:I've even heard of people feeding them the occasional Pea, although I've never been able to get the little critters to sink! :lol:
They must be peeled, one by one :D I don't give my Zebras peas, but do cook and peel them for the other catfish :D

My husband thinks I'm mad, he finds it equally amusing every time he sees me peeling peas :lol:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

:wink: Whe-hey.... I'm off peeling peas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

DANthirty,

I too,feed mussels to my zebras and other catfish, approx twice a week, tend to use the New zealand ones that are a lot larger and tastier than the local ones.
I just throw the whole frozen mussel into the tank,late in the evening, soon thaws and sinks to the bottom. By the next morning the leftovers,if any, are removed from the tank.

Regards,
Des :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm always looking for something different to feed the zebras and my other fish. I've totally given up on blood worms for the zebras now as I know of at least two people who have lost zebras to this stuff. In addtion to all the usual dried foods I feed frozen daphnia, black mosquito larvae and mysis shrimp. The mussels look like another good food to add to the menu.
urchysj

Veggies!!!

Post by urchysj »

I try to feed mine anything that sinks and can stay on the bottom without dissolving and floating away. You guys have the carnivore part of the diet figured out, but here is what I just noticed about greens.
I tried lots of veggies to supplement their diet with. They are omnivores just like us right? They will benefit from some veggies. And just like us, they may not like them much. Never bother with algae by-the-way.
Anyway, I tried Zucchini, peas with skin removed, cucumber, deli-sprouts and sweet potatoe. NADA!! No touch! I have tried baby lettuce once or twice and they didn't touch that either. But just yesterday, I tried baby mixed lettuce again. Do NOT use Iceburg lettuce. That stuff has no nutrients and WE shouldn't even touch that stuff. Use nutrient-rich lettuces like "spring mix" or other mixes. Try to make sure it's young and fresh. Lo and behold, in all my Zebra tanks, and my L14's and L134's, the lettuce has been ravaged. You can tell because they don't rip it apart like all other fish do, plecos seem to scrape and gnaw small holes in the lettuce. And I did not see any pieces floating around and DID see little green poops. So use a lettuce clip or secure it under a rock or something. I think these green are VERY nutritious. Have not tried spinich, but it's a thought. Let me know how yours like it. Try it a few times before you give up if they don't eat it the first time...mine took a couple of times too.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Thanks urchysj, always like to think that the zebbies would like a change of diet, must get boring with prima and bloodworm in rotation. 8)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I put veggies and different seafoods in a blender, mash it real good, freeze and cut pieces from it.

They love it :)