First Fight!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

gianniz
Groupie

First Fight!

Post by gianniz »

I have 4 zebra I think i have 2female 2 male,

or 1 female 3males..

anyway today for the first time I saw two of them fight...

infact one of them has light little red mark on its body particularly at the top of the head.. (seems like its bleeding)

is this normal?

I think they are verge of sexual maturity as they are approximately 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

anyway any advice will be greately appreciate.
gianniz
Groupie

Post by gianniz »

hmmm no one can share some thoughts into this :(
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm sorry about replying so late. If you have a a look at sharkos movie showing two males fighting, it's quite clear that they do indeed try to bite each other on the top of the head.

The red mark you see is probably a bitemark. If you worry about him, or it looks like it gets infected, or get fungis you might want to quarantine and treat the fish, but see how he gets along. In most cases they heal fine if you just keep up the water changes to keep their tank nice and clean.
gianniz
Groupie

Post by gianniz »

thanks for the advice. i will keep an eye out for them..

question is will they stop fighting after the alpha male has been chosen? or will they keep fighting till one dyes?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Once they find out who the boss is it shouldn't be more than an occational squabble that rarely turn into a full blown fight in my experience.

The trouble with sharkos two males I believe is that they are equally strong and can't get the matter settled to their satisfaction. Sharko might update us on how his two males are doing as time progress :)

I haven't heard of any instances where the fighting itself lead to death of one fish, (under normal circumstances) but infection in the wounds might be something to look out for as a secondary cause for fatalities.