a few random Q's

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Spunky
Forum Follower

a few random Q's

Post by Spunky »

I have a few odds and ends questions… sorry there are so many…
I was wondering more on the tank specifics on what everyone’s set-ups are.

I.E. what tank size (width and length) per male do you have? Or recommend…
Do you put all your breeding zebbies in one tank, or split them up?

How many of you take the cave with the dad and little ones out and put them in separate tanks (if so what size tank do you keep them in?)
When do you remove the dad and put him back in his own tank?
Do you then put the fry in breeding traps, or let them stay in the tank they are already in?

Or do you just take the fry (leave the dad) and use the breeding traps?
If so, at what age? (according to day or size)

I will not be needing the answers for a long time, seeing as I do not have any of my own zebbies yet, but I am a curious person and like knowing all my facts ahead of time.

Thanks, Lizzie
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi lizzie
I have a few odds and ends questions… sorry there are so many…
I was wondering more on the tank specifics on what everyone’s set-ups are.
Ideally, I would say, a 3 foot tank for 1 male and two females is your best bet. It is possible to have another male in there, but you need to make sure that there are enough territories for them. I would also recommend splitting up breeding groups. From what I have seen, having too many in a tank can intimidate the apha male, and the sub-alpha males will rarely try and breed.

How many of you take the cave with the dad and little ones out and put them in separate tanks (if so what size tank do you keep them in?)
Only if absolutely necessary will I remove the fry or eggs. If it is a problem witht he fry surviving in the tank, and not the dad, I will reomve the cave and place it in a breeder hanging on the side of the tank. the breeder I use for this is about 6" by 3". it is just big enough to allow the male out too feed. Once the fry are about 10 days old, I will try and coax them out of the cave, and return the male and cave to the main section of the tank, leaving the fry in the trap.

HOpe these help.

If you do a search on the forum for "Removing fry" you should come up with alot more.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Spunky
Forum Follower

Post by Spunky »

thanks for your answer. It helps to get a right out answer, and not to have to read a dozen posts and try to figure it out from there. Although, i am getting closer to reading all the posts here, so i guess it does not really matter in the end. :)

Lizzie