Moved my 5 Zebras - got OK pics

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Moved my 5 Zebras - got OK pics

Post by LyreTail »

Probably not have another chance to collect each one individually again, so I took pictures as I caught each one of the five different fish. I took pictures top, side and bottom

1st one I think is Female

2nd One I think is most dominant male in tank

3rd one may be a sub Dominant male?

4th and 5th ones are not great pictures and I had to do a lot of editing - I belive these two are females

smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I'd go with...

1=female
2=male
3=female = body shape is rounded.

4&5 - not too sure...
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

And here is my vote:

1. female
2,3 and 4 male

5 can't tell

:)
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi

Nice pictures!

1st - 100% Female
2nd 100% male
3rd 95% female
4th 80% male
5th not sure
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Lyretail,

My view is :

1) Female
2) Male
3) Female
4) Female
5) Not sure

Regards,
Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Lyre tail

I'm with Des on this one. F, M, F,F, and we would need another picture for the last one!

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Well, I agree with Des also - but the 3rd on threw me a bit because it has longer whiskers than the other females - but not as long as the obvious male.. I was suprised some people thought number 4 was a male. number 5 is my youngest and smallest pleco and looks female to me.

here is the top view of Number 5 ( with some clarity editing)
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Rob said in the intro forum that my fish here appear quite young? I am curious now, because I was worried they may be too old. I have had them at least three years (according to my records- most collection from special order and finds in pet stores in summer 2002 )and Only God knows how old they were when I got them. They have grown substantially since I got them but they are only about 7cm SL / 9 cm TL now. ( they may be a little smaller than that)
Much of their growth has been in width. They had real narrow heads when I got them
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Lyre Tail..oops sorry about that. I got you mixed up woth the post prior to your in the "Male or Female" forum. My mistake I should check my facts before opening my mouth!!! :oops: :oops:

Your fish, look like good mature fish. If they are all in good health, I wouldn't worry about them being too old either. I have one female that I know it about 6 years old and still going strong, (touch wood).

SOrry again!!

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Number 5 is also definitely a female, IMO. If you find you need males or that your male isn't interested in spawning, remember I'm just over the mountains ;). They're great fish and in good condition. The new caves and drops in TDS should stand you in good stead!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

I would feel better with another big male, but I guess I'll see how this goes for a bit
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

I may be wrong but number 3 looks like a male if you can take photos of there vents or just compare #3 with #1 and 2 you might be able to confirm this, the other thing you can do is observe the tank and see how they would interact with each other males normally stake caves and chase other males or females that are not ready to breed.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

I found it hard to get underside pictures. The camera had trouble focusing. It may have been the acrylic fish trap I was using. too many scratches on it. With these 10 pictures below you have all 15 pictures I took - most highly enhanced and sharpened

bottom and side shots ( All Numbers same fish as top views in original post )
Pleco #1

Pleco #2

Pleco#3

Pleco#4

Pleco#5

Pleco#4

Pleco#3

Pleco#5

Pleco#1

Pleco#2