Pump capacity

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Lied
Groupie

Pump capacity

Post by Lied »

Hi I have a question, I have a tank of 70 litres or 18 gallons, and I have a juwel pomp that goes with it with the capacity of 400 l/h. Will this do?
Cute ^_^
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

Why are all my questions ignored? :(
Cute ^_^
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Lied,

Sorry mate you're not intentionally being ignored. Sometimes replies to posts can be a bit slow, I guess it's the nature of forums. :wink:

In reply to your question, the current turnover of your tank is almost six times an hour which should be ok for the zebras. You may want to consider a powerhead with a rating of about 500l/h so as to produce a bit more current and to ensure the tank is well oxgenated. The total turn over in my own tanks ranges from 15 to 20 times an hour.

Adam
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

I have an oxygen device for air, I put it in my filter (I have a Juwel filter so if you know what that looks like you know what I mean). With that they is more current and more oxygen ;)
Cute ^_^
Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm not sure of what you mean by the oxygen device. :? Do you have a brand name and model for it?
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

No it says Fish'r but I don't think you know that it is, tonight I'll make a picture of it. It's like a kind off mouse (for your pc) shape, and there are two hoses one for the electricity and one for the air and at the air hose is an air stone that you put in the aquarium.
Cute ^_^
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds like some sort of air pump to me, providing it produces enough O2 it should be fine for the zebs.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Lied,

It sounds as though you have a Rena air pump, please don't put it in your filter - as it is electric - just sit it in the cupboard underneath or near the tank and then only the air line/airstone will go in the tank.

Sorry if I have read you wrong but it sounded as though you were going to place it actually in the internal Juwel filter.
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

You read it wrong ofcourse I don't put it in the filter :?
Cute ^_^
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Perhaps "lied" is talking about a venturi aeration tube that probably has a noise muffler on it - these are common in the USA/ Canada on everything from Aqua clear power heads to Rio power heads. It is just a airline tube that attaches to the exit of the power head and sucks air in from above the water line. You do have to be careful with them, as any back pressure can force water out of the tank. They are not meant to be attached to an air pump, nor do they need any more air than what they can draw in with physics

Maybe not - I read lied's posts again and I am really confused - If the Juwel filter is impeller driven then you have to be careful about adding bubbles to the intake side of the filter ( exit side OK)- or else you will "cavitate" the impeller. Air bubbles do not add a whole lot of flow rate, they only make it appear so, because now you can see the flow rate clearly
Last edited by LyreTail on Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

It's not attached to an airpump I just put in with the filter in the filter house, because out of the filter house it provides too much current for the fish that I own right now ;)
Cute ^_^