another substrate question

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

dodgefreak8

another substrate question

Post by dodgefreak8 »

hey everyone I know there are topics about substrate for zebra's but does anyone succesfully breed them on regular gravel? I am trying to get my tank set up but I don't like sand because of the pockets of gas and I hate bare bottom tanks. Any help would be appreciated thanks
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi dodgefreak8,

Sand or bare bottom is best for Zebras, as they will try to dig in the sand. A coarser gravel will not be very gentle on their tummies... You won't get pockets of gas in the sand if you either keep Malaysian sand snails, or don't have more than 2-3 cm of sand in the tank, making sure to stir the sand occationally. A normal gravel vacuuming once a week will be enough to keep the pockets from forming.

But, to answer your questions, "did anybody breeed them in gravel"? I don't know :oops: I believe they will be happier in sand or bare bottom :)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

dodgefreak8

Post by dodgefreak8 »

thanks for the reply's I decided to play it safe and bought tahitian moon sand for my 29.. thanks again though
pleco_farmer

Post by pleco_farmer »

Attached is a link to a thread I posted on PC, detailing my standard setup.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 6232#56232

The thread shows a 29G tank, which I use for L-134, 66 and 260. Usually work with L-046 in a 20L with the same configuration. (I keep 3F/2M in a typical group in a 20L)

I use a gravel substrate in all of the tanks. Basically to trap waste for easy removal with a siphon. Gravel is cleaned weekly, during a 25% water change. It also makes it easier for the fish to feed in the current, and easier for me to catch escaped fry.

When growing out fry, I use either a 5G, or 10G, with gravel covering about 50% of the bottom and sponge filters for filtration. Since I feed live microworms to young fry, it helps to have some bare bottom to watch the worms in order to avoid overfeeding.

I would prefer to use sand and match the natural biotope. However, it makes maintenance difficult, and is certainly not necessary for reproduction. A bit of current, warm temperatures, clean water, appropriate caves and mature fish is what it takes.