Kevin's Zebra formula

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dan D' Man
Groupie

Kevin's Zebra formula

Post by Dan D' Man »

The following is Kevin Korotev's fish formula. I'm reproducing it with his permission. I take no credit whatsoever for it, except; as a user I can say Zebras just love it & it has the convenience of being dry food, which needs no refrigeration. Enjoy:! :D
============================

Hypancistrus Dry Food Recipe:
Roughly equal amounts (4 ounce dry weight) of freeze dried blood worms from www.kensfish.com and "Golden Pellets" from www.brineshrimpdirect.com
2 or more cups of AQUAMAX. This is the Purina Mills "trout chow" which only comes in 50 pound bags and is available by order through a feed store....or me!
+-80 tablets (ground) 100% pure spirulina from www.jehmco.com

Grind this up for fry food or as is for adults. Generic flake food can be added as filler.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Dan D'Man,

Thanks for that. I originally thought you were refering to a frozen mix when you referred to Kevins formula. I am now a little wiser.
Reading through one of the L046 breeding reports on PC, the author states that he uses Sera tablet food for his babies .I have tried some on my babies and there was no leftovers.
I have also on my baby L046, tried a new baby discus(ground up powder) food which also contains earthworms and beefheart amongst other things ,which has gone down a treat.

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Des,

where do you get the baby discus food from? It sounds like good stuff.

I think that Kevin Korotev's dry food Recipe is also worthy of "sticky" status under the hints and tips section.

Adam
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Adam,

Sorry cannot give away all my secrets !!!!!. Just joking!!!!!!!

I got the Discus baby food , called Discus Delights Discus Fry Food, from Plymouth discus when I was there a few weeks ago checking out some discus that had just arrived from World champion stock. I had actually bought it for baby discus , and just trialled it on the baby zebras. They absolutely love the stuff.
www.plymouthdiscus.com

Regards,
Des.
zcat
Groupie

Re: Kevin's Zebra formula

Post by zcat »

Ever thought of packing and selling Kevin's Zebra formula pre-made?

I really don't have the need or the storage space for the bulk sizes the ingredients come in but I would love to try the food on my zebbys :) I imagine since it is dry it would ship very nicely :)

Whatcha' think?

Dan D' Man wrote:The following is Kevin Korotev's fish formula. I'm reproducing it with his permission. I take no credit whatsoever for it, except; as a user I can say Zebras just love it & it has the convenience of being dry food, which needs no refrigeration. Enjoy:! :D
============================

Hypancistrus Dry Food Recipe:
Roughly equal amounts (4 ounce dry weight) of freeze dried blood worms from www.kensfish.com and "Golden Pellets" from www.brineshrimpdirect.com
2 or more cups of AQUAMAX. This is the Purina Mills "trout chow" which only comes in 50 pound bags and is available by order through a feed store....or me!
+-80 tablets (ground) 100% pure spirulina from www.jehmco.com

Grind this up for fry food or as is for adults. Generic flake food can be added as filler.
>^..^<

Cory
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Re: Kevin's Zebra formula

Post by Dan D' Man »

Kevin sends his food vacuum-sealed, fresh when you open the seal. My zebras young & adults, have been on nothing but this formula for 3 months now...all growing healthy & always hungry for more. He can probably sell you some, just email him directly:

kkorotev@sbcglobal.net
zcat
Groupie

Post by zcat »

Oh great! Thank you :)
>^..^<

Cory