new member,male or female?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Tariq
Obsessed!!

new member,male or female?

Post by Tariq »

build like a female nice round and fat,but does have fairly big cheek odontodes,i know females can be hary also but how long can the cheek odontodes get on a female?size is about 6.5 cm to 7 cm.
thanks
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

My guess is female.
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

well i am not sure what to think,but it seems my new addition is being trapped by a male in a cave,first it seemed like fighting ,but now i see the male at the entrance making strange and quick movements with his fins,and at the moment there seems no fighting going on soemtimes it seems the the other zebra tries to get out or trys to push the male out but then the mail pushes her kind of back in and makes viberating movements with his fins plus there is one female and one ?zebra in the neighborhood of the cave very very closeby.
i hope that my new zebra is a female and she is being trapped,but she has been in the tank for only 3 and half hours ,but very fat and round.
i hope this will come as a dream come true after lst week when a female was trapped but nothing happened no eggs (maybe i disturbed them with my torch and camera).
i will leave these 2 alone if they really are 2 males how long can a dispute for a cave last?
thanks wandj i also was certain that its a female but the odontes made me uncertain
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Tariq,

Photos unfortunately are not in focus, so cannot see cheek and leading pectoral fin odontodes, but from overall body shape, a female :wink: for sure.
Hope the pairing is successful and congrats on the quickest "trapping".

Regards,
Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tariq

My guess is also female, due tot the shape of the pectorial fins.

If she is in the cave for more that a night, I think that would probably prove this. The males can usually sort out cave territotial disputes within a few hours. I have certainly never seen two males reside in a cave for longer than this.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

there both in still.i hope this will be my lucky shot,if it really ends up being a breeding then i think that zebras arent that difficult fish to breed afterall.the fish was just in the tank and was trapped i think within 2 hours maybe even earlier,and there is a female laying just infront of the cave.
thanks
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've heard of several cases where the Zebra spawn just after they're moved. I dont hink this is an indication of how easy or hard the fish is to breed though, there are many many people who try to breed these fish, and are still waiting for their first spawn ;)

Think of yourself as lucky :)
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

a a other male the one who trapped a female about a week or 2 ago seems to have disturbed the mating or something i came home yesterday from home and i saw both male and femaLE out of the cave and the other male was sitting in ther entrance is it possible a other male can disturb a mating?i am thinking of setting them apart.
my computer is broken orsomething so it may take a while for me to answer,
thanks
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Tariq,

It is normally the female that chooses which male ,she spawns with. If she has tried one male and for some reason there is no spawn, she may try him again or sometimes another male. Doesnt alsways have to be the biggest male.

Regards,
Des.
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

the female died this morning she had some kind of injury she i am not sure from what i think maybe from the scuffle betwen the males or maybe when the seller was trying to catch her from the tank,it became infected i did treat her but it just got worser and worser.
anyways thanks for your help everybody
cheers
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tariq

Sorry to hear about th female. How dothe other fish seem? WHat kind of injury was it, and what were you treating her with?

Hope the others are ok

Rob :cry:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

hi rob,the other fish seem to be okay one of them is a bit slow in reaction i think,i treated her with colombo cerpofor,it may also have been finrot i am not sure.
thanks
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai