L46 are better off in Xingu

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Sojapat
Forum Follower

L46 are better off in Xingu

Post by Sojapat »

I have been in the aquatic trade for 18 years ,
If the people who evaluate the numbers of fish in
the wild say they are not to be exported it is to
PROTECT the species , in its habitat ..
The Zebras need recovery time ..
By all means sell tank raised fish THATS GREAT !
The notion that wild fish are better protected in a 25 gallon
fishtank with a powerfilter is rubbish
Also there are people out there who will collect one fish just so
they have a set of L codes ...THESE DONT BREED ON THEIR OWN
Been there seen very few fish of L 46 :evil: .Xingu ..
Keep your powder dry
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Havent you sold them in the past?
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

I agree with you, because if we keep on catching these fish in the wild, there won't be many left. I don't know if everybody is aware of this, but it is strictly forbidden to catch these fish in the wild nowadays, but breed the fish who were already in captivity before this rule came up is ofcourse no problem. In about a few months I want to buy 2 or 3 of these beautiful fish myself, and I will only buy the breed of the fishes who were caught in the wild! It is important that this specie doesn't extinct in the wild! 8)
Cute ^_^
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Dam issue

Post by Tom2600 »

I suppose the ultimate issue is that the Zebra ecosystem will be destroyed if/when this dam is built. So, should we leave them or try to reintroduce them into other similar, but safe, river systems in the amazon? OR should we try to catch them all so we can build up honest captive breeding groups around the world?

I suppose there are always pros and cons when keeping fish. But of Zebras are for sale people will buy them.

Regards

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Tom 2600,

Of course this subject is very controversial, but if the main Brazilian authority (IBAMA) have conducted a study and due to the depletion of the L046, due to being overfished, decided that These fish should be on the banned list amongst many other birds,fish etc. Who are we to decide that we know better, and do we have that right?. Of course we have the freedom of speech but ...........
If you were the owner of a fishing lake eg in the UK, that had some type of game fish ,eg carp, bream or whatever, that had been overfished, and you put a ban on fishing until stocks were replenished, what would you do to poachers that were emptying the lake of the last remaining adults, especially if they could not be replaced?.
However as you rightly said, when there are ready buyers of banned species, there will be sellers.

Regards,
Des.

Regards,
Des
paul

l46 better in the wild

Post by paul »

do you or have you any l46 in your tank.
i would love to have a large quantity in my tank, i think like me most people have larger than 50 gallons in their tank. how would you feel if this fish comes extinct with the building of this dam?? :oops:
would you therefore understand why people want to have breeding programmes to save this fish.
i think if you actually take time to think about how the fish will suffer with the building of this dam then you will understand how people fail to agree totally with the arguement that you are so valiantly trying to tackle single handedly :roll:
rdwh
Forum Follower

Post by rdwh »

just thought i would let you all read this article so you can understand about the building of this dam, and realise the damage that the dam will cause

http://forests.org/archive/brazil/pramrive.htm
www.aquavan.co.uk the aquatics package
www.malawifish.co.uk
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I'm locking this thread to keep all of the discussion in one post to avoid confusion. Please refer to it Here. Thanks!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]