Zebras for sale soon(UK only).

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Sojapat, rdwh, etc.

I agree with you one hundred percent, but as the owner of the site I have to keep an unbiased, and informative view on all that takes place on these forums.

We have to assume, that if these fish are being taken from the wild, they will be stopped exiting the country, thus the sales will not go through. I realise this is slightly naieve of me, but none of us are in the position to comment on where these fish are supplied from. In an ideal world, as stated in my previous post:
Hopefully in a few years time, we will not be stuck with this dilema. Over the past few months the number, (Even on this forum), of fish bred in captivity has been increasing. It will take at least 1 -2 years from now, before any F2's will arrive on the market. Then we will hopefully be able to satisfy the demand both private and retail without removing the fish from the wild.

This may be a bit of a pipe-dream, but I certainly think it is worth aiming for. There are two many positive points to supply captive bred fish, and too many negative points for removing fish from the wild.
If these fish are being brought into the country however, legally or illegally, they will be sold. Although I may not agree with "possible" wild caught fish, I would rather they were sold to individuals who are genuinely interested in the welfare and possiblity of breeding these fish., and not someone thinknig they can make a quick buck!

This I feel is personal choice. Whilst I would not buy one of these fish, and would prefer to never buy a wild caught zebra again, I can say this as mine are breeding. I would lvoe to stop imports of these fish from the wild, but as a group be do not have commercial power. Until this time all I can do is try and promote responsible husbandry and breeding.

The water is also muddied, by the possiblility of increase mining, and contruction of the Belo Monte damn. The hypocsisy of banning a fish that has the possiblity of losing it's natural habitat.

I will stop my rambling now, and I appologise if anyone has taken offence or ill-meaning.

rob

[/quote]
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

On the fence

Post by Tom2600 »

I totally agree Rob! I myself sit on the fence.

While I personally believe Zebras and all species from the river systems threatened by this dam should be allowed to be kept and bred in captivity, I therefore disagree with the export ban. However. I hate the fact people are making a huge profit from Zebras in particular. :evil: But its supply and demand so at the moment this will not stop.

However, I know of people who are reportedly sourcing zebra breeders who are quoting relatively little for young tank bred zebras. I will be holding out for some of these if I am lucky enough to get some. I will then try breeding them now I know the cave size to use. :D

I would be VERY interested to know where Ricky is sourcing these 60 odd zebras from? Answers on a postcard please. :wink:

Regards

Tom
Kev
Groupie

Post by Kev »

i cant belive "rdwh" that you would think that something that has been living in a river for god only know's how long would be better of in your fish tank. when did you go to brazil and swim in the Xingu and think "this place is nothing compared to my tank at home?". if this so called dam is going to wipe out life in the Xingu then why would the IBAMA put a ban on them?. it make's no sense. And why do you have to wait a month to get the fish? when me and sojapat where in Alatmira one day we where looking at some fish in an internal exporter's and the next they where at an international exporter's ready to go, my point is that the internal shipper's dont like having the fish for more than a couple of day's and the international shipper's get them out the country ASAP. Why the long wait? there are load's of flight's coming out of Belem. I dont think they will ever leave Brazil.

Kev
Im off to the Xingu put my dinner in the oven!!!
rdwh
Forum Follower

Post by rdwh »

kev and everyone else have their own views fair comment. if you have those views then so be it. i dont have to answer to anyone or explain myself to anyone. if you have something to ask me then pm me as was explained to you all in the original thread. the amount of orders i have obviously goes against what you say. you are entitled to your opinions and if you have a situation like this then i suggest you pm me personally, and not slur me through this site. this site is for enthusiasts not anarchists. lets keep this site what it is meant for please.
what you have to remember is all tank spawning zebras originate from wild.
all fish come from the wild originally and we all have some of these in our tanks.
what is wrong with offering people what they actually want at the end of the day.
if you saw these being exported when you were there, if you felt so strongly about it, did you get them to explain to you their actions. no!!!
richard
www.aquavan.co.uk the aquatics package
www.malawifish.co.uk
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

OK guys

I'm going to lock this thread, as I feel it is kind of getting off track.

I feel slightly uncomfortable about the way the discussions are going and feel it may be better suited to a new Thread such as "Current Exporting , Right or Wrong".

I undertsand where both parties are coming from and feel free to discuss this in PM's or in an alternative thread.

If anyone wishes to buy these fish on offer they are more than entitled too, just as rdwh is entitled to sell them. On the same note a Discussion is welcome to to why they should not be imported.

I hope my comments are taken in the "Unbiased form" and nobofy involved taked offence.

Any further comments directly associated with this should be directed through PM's.

Thanks

Rob :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"