Shrimps, clams & Zebras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dan D' Man
Groupie

Shrimps, clams & Zebras

Post by Dan D' Man »

Yesterday I got myself 40 Amano shrimps and 20 Gold Clams, to be distributed amongst 3 tanks. From what I read, the clams dig themselves in the substrate with two syphons out, one will take water in (they will digest any suspended particle, algae, nitrates, etc) and the other syphon out--clear water back to the tank. This morning, most of the clams had dig themselves in the sand. They sound like nature's natural filters. Better still, clams are hermaphrodites, so they can reproduce themselves. Anybody had any experience with shrimps or clams? My Zebras don't seem to mind them. Thanks. Dan
sparkee
Groupie

Post by sparkee »

any chance of posting us some clams, cant find them over here.
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

sparkee wrote:any chance of posting us some clams, cant find them over here.
You can try a search under Asian Gold Clams at aquabid.com maybe one of the sellers will ship. They are used a lot as natural filters, plus they don't harm plants, fish or fry. Some people use them instead of any substrate at all, because they look better than gravel. :lol: Still, in some parts of the USA, they are considered a nuisance, since they clog the aqueducts, etc. Years ago some where loose in the natural lakes & they've been reproducing ever since. They are cheap, like $1.00 or less each.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

You can often get Mussels here in the UK, in fish shops, which I'm sure would do a similar thing. Sometimes there in the aquarium sections, but sometimes in the pond sections. I have seen them many times.
sparkee
Groupie

Post by sparkee »

clams just look cooler. ive asked them and they wont send them out.