Just interested

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Just interested

Post by Jenny »

Hi,

Has anybody had successful spawns with a mix of pleco species in one tank?

Or - do you all have separate breeding tanks for each species/L-number?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The common Ancistrus will breed no matter hwat tank mates they have (almost! :D), and I belive Sharko bred L144 in his Zebra tank? He can answer that much better than me of course. I do believe it's possible, but personally I keep related species in different tanks. Some species just don't get along either, like L135 and L333 - mine hated eachother on first sight, while L264 and L333 gets along fine. There might of course be individual differences ..

But the Zebras get their own tank :D

Part from that it's not recommended to keep different Hypancistrus species in the same tank, as you run the risk of hybrids. This is not desireable as I think it's important to keep the species pure. Imagine the complete chaos if if breeding hybrids were to get a common occurence! :(
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for info, McEve,

I was just thinking that all species obviously mix in the wild and wondered if they only breed with their own kind or are some of the zebra variants a result of interbreeding?

I set up a 70 litre for the 2 zebras which are in my community tank - I havn't moved them yet as the tank isn't totally stable yet - very low nitrite - .01ppm which only showed up when I had the water tested by the lfs. In the meantime I couldn't resist purchasing 2 x L199 and would like to put them in the 70 litre with the zebras but you don't think this would be a good idea. I think I need some more tanks!!!!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The way I see it there's a big difference between keeping fish in the confined space of an aquarium, and the much bigger space provided in nature. The bigger space in nature would allow the different species to keep to their own much easier and more natural than they do in a tank.

Although you might very well be right about hybrids occuring in the wild also, I still think that would be a much rarer occurance then it could be in a tank. This puts an extra responsibility on us keeping fish in a tank the way I see it, but this is only my presonal opinion of course.

As a side note, there was a recent birth of a cross between a zebra and a donkey :) They were kept together without a mate of their own kind, so I guess it got to be too much for them :roll: I somehow don't think that would happen in the wild even though they do have both Zebras and Donkeys in Africa :)

I would definately not keep L199 together with Zebras..... The obious solution is, as you say: more tanks :lol:
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Yes, McEve, I accept your point - would a 5 gal be too small for 2 x L199 as I have one in the garage which used to be set up for quarantine tank?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

In answer to your original question, about successful spawns from different plecs in the same tank, I have just had a spawn from both a pair of Hypancistrus Inspector L201 (earlier in the week) and a pair of Zebras ( 2 days later) in a 55 ltr "breeding" tank.
I originally had 2 pairs of zebras in this tank and introduced one pair of L201 as they were ready to breed, but as stated elsewhere on the forum, the male Inspector trapped one of the male zebras in the back of a cave, obviously wanting that cave for himself. I thought they they would resolve this amicabably but unfortunately the next day found the male zebra badly beaten up and died from its injuries 2 days later. I had 2 choices, one was to remove one species from the breeding tank or be more vigilant. I decided rightly or wrongly ,on the second option.
So although spawns can be had from different species in the same tank, it can be a little traumatic, especially if the tank is on the small side. Generally, I dont believe that plecs would interbreed if they had their own species to breed with, although I have heard that it has happened on the odd occasion as stated on PC.
Any chance of a picture of your L199 and where did you get them ? They are on my wish list !!!! I have seen some around but they looked like L316, which I already have.

Regards,
Des.

Edited. Correction. Changed L102 to L201
Last edited by Des on Sun May 15, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Just wanted to point your attention to this thread :)

I haven't been able to figure out who this fellow Norwegian is, but it would be interesting to find out what happened in the end. I'll ask around and see if anybody knows something and keep you posted
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Des,

I've just received my DATZ L-number book and the L199 I have don't look anything like the L199 listed. The markings are similiar but the colour is more beige than white. As they are quite small I am wondering if the colour changes with age although, to be honest, I think they are either the L38 or L15 and it is another case of mistaken identity. :( I have just ordered a new camera and will post a picture when it arrives.
I purchased them from Shirley Aquatics who have quite a selection of L-numbers, I have purchased a numbers of L-numbers from them and never had a problem.

The L316 looks a lovely fish although it does looks more black than the DATZ picture.

Des, did you mean L201 - Inspectors - typo error??

McEve,

Thanks for the link to that thread - interesting reading
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

The previous post is duplicated, anybody know how to cancel it???

Des,

Below should be some very bad photos of the L199 - not easy to catch them out and about. Let me know if you can ID them from these.

Hope this works :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Seahorse,

I Just deleted your duplicate post for you. :wink:

It's hard to make out from your pictures whether your fish is infact L199 or something else. I suspect that they may be L316 due to the large amount of black, L199 have black and white in almost equal proportions.

Adam
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Hi, Adam

Thanks for sorting that out for me.

Yes, I agree with you I dont think they are L199, although the lighter line is more pronounced than the L316 so I am not sure yet what they are. Ill post some better pictures soon. They are only 2.5" at the moment and a bit shy.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

Thankyou for pointing out my error. Edited L102 to read L201.
Its not easy to identify your fish without a complete picture, but maybe L316 or maybe even L129 which have cream stripes.
Mind you , some of my L316 had cream stripes on receipt but have since brightened to white.
Below are pictures of 2 of my L316.

Shown below is my only picture of one of my L129 (but not the best striped or coloured). Some others have nice vertical stripes, but no pictures yet.

Regarding false identities, I ordered some LDA19 Clown Hpancistrus of a LFS from a local Wholesalers list but received L129 !!!!!!

Does the shop you bought your fish from ,courier fish?.

Regards,
Des.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Des,

I would say that, what you consider to be L316 are more likely to be L199, particularly the second photo. This is as per the DATZ book, perhaps the Aqualog is different.

Have you got the DATZ book, if not, let me know and Ill scan a picture?

www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk do courier fish - the picture on the website of the L199 doesn't show much although the shape of mine is definately similiar to the zebra and they have the horizontal lines on the dorsal.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

Unfortunately havent Got a Datz book or Aqualog.
The second fish you refer to has the brightest contrast of all my L316? It isnt really a good photo of it. These were labelled as L316 at the LFS(Wholesale Tropicals).
Looking at the photos on PC, L199 appears to have the black and white markings of equal width.

Regards,
Des.