3 new arrivals on sunday.tank size?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Tariq
Obsessed!!

3 new arrivals on sunday.tank size?

Post by Tariq »

Hi,
if everything goes okay i will be having 3 new arrivels on sunday,
1 female(7-7.5 cm) 1male(7+cm) and the third one is probably a male (6 cm)the person says,so that will extend my group to 8.
if i am right on the sexing part 4 males 4 females,do you think that will cause any problems in a 50 gallon tank?those males?and how many caves should i set in there?
cheers
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

i mean 46 gallons.
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

200L? That should be fine for 8 Zebras, I have 8 in a 120 liter, and with the right decorations, stones and caves to provide plenty of hiding places, it works fine.

You should keep one cave for each male, some people say one cave less than there are males, to trigger a hierachy so that you get the alpha male. A bit of competition for the caves is not a bad thing, as long as there are plenty of other hiding places.

Congrats on your new find! :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Tariq,

Well done for managing to find another three zebras. :D

Providing you have adequate filteration a 200L tank should be more than sufficient for 8 zebras. As McEve said make sure that sufficient hiding places are provided in order to lessen any aggression. I would also provide a cave for each of the males so as to avoid unnecessary territorial disputes. I know that some people recommend having fewer caves than males, personally I think this will only lead to trouble. I know of a recent incident where 2 male zebras were badly injured due to fighting and one of them later died. The owner was attempting to form a hierarchy amongst his males by providing fewer caves but had neglected to provide sufficient alternative cover.

Adam
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

thanks Mceve and Adam,
i am planning to put another filter on it i was thinking about the 2215 or the 2217 or 2028 if i get one cheap.
well after this i have to take a rest for a month orso and not buy anymore zebras becuase my wife is gonna kill me,she already doesnt know yet of number 5 and know i am getting 3 new ones very very cheap,and i hope she won't count them,and i am glad the zebras hide most of the time hahaha,but anyways her interest is more in the big discustank in the livingroom she maintains that one mostly and the the zebra tank is in a different room.but eventually i wil have to tell here about the new ones,but i am looking for the right moment,like when they ever lay eggs hihihi.then i can say that i knew what i was doing hahaha..
well thanks guys
cheers
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

well i got my 3 new zebras today,2 of those i had to pick up from belgium one of those is a nice big female i think about 7 to 7.5 cm i forgot to check her size before releasing and the other i think is to small to sex yet barely 5 cm.
zebra number 3 i bought in holland and thats the biggest male i ever saw,he is about 9 and half cm has some scars and his head is very broad.
i will let them all settle and next week get them all out to take pictures and ask your opinions on there genders.
another question i almost forgot to ask there are 8 zebras in the 180 litre tank,i am setting up a 54 liter tank how many zebras can i put in there this tank will be used for breeding.i was thinking of 1 male and maybe 2 females and all 3 fish will be my biggst zebras that will go in that 54 liter tank is this enough for them and how many caves should i put in there?
thanks
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Tariq,

I too use 55 ltr tanks for breeding zebras.
Having 1 male and 2 females is ideal, with one cave for the male and some bogwood for the females to take shelter.
If you have more than 1 male in a small tank there will be lots of fights.
Maybe the best way to choose which adults should go in the breeding tank, is to put some caves in your larger tank and when you see a female trapped by a male, take the whole cave out with the 2 adults into a small container with water from the main tank, then acclimatise into your breeding tank.

Regards,
Des.