Desperate plea for zebras

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Desperate plea for zebras

Post by Shell231 »

I really really want some more but people are gettin so greedy with the price. anybody got any sensible price ranged zebras about!
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

I know the feeling Shell not sure how much u are willing to go but there is a guy in Norwich selling 2 for £200.
Tom26000

Doesn't happen

Post by Tom26000 »

Hi Shell,

Sensible prices and zebra plecs do not go together. £100/zebra is a very good price these days. however, I would never pay this. Relatively few people are breeding them and there are many other beautiful L nos out there at a fraction of the cost. For example I got 7 L134s for the same price as it would cost for one zebra. 6 L260s for the cost of one zebra.

Regards

Tom
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

A lot depends on your location. Even if I wanted to part with some, they might not survive the trip. I know a person who tried to ship fish to the UK and they were seized at the border. Really don't know the reason. Good luck with your search.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

seems to me like the place to be for zebras in the near future is SCOTLAND!! and i live a mission from it! hehe!

Post by Guest »

yeah but as it says on the site its posted he only paid £13 for the pair people wanted him to sell them for peanuts like he said if you bought your house for £35k and then 3 years later it went upto £135k you wouldnt say oh ok have it for £40k coz it just wouldnt be fair, would ya!
if people love them that much you will pay and travel whatever the cost, i would imagine
Adam

Post by Adam »

A real hot potato of a subject this one. As has been said by the members here many a time before supply and demand is ruling zebra pricing at the moment. Unfortunately it looks likely to remain that way for the time being. The only thing that I see bringing zebra prices down is for the market to be suddenly flooded with zebras and that is just not going to happen.

Even when zebras were comparatively "cheap" they were still being sold for around the £45 mark at LFSs near me. This was when you could buy a gold nugget for under £10 and a royal for £12. It would be unrealistic to still expect to pay these prices especially now that there is a ban on zebra exportation. It is not a question of greed driving zebra prices up but rather a case of them becoming more and more scarce, there are of course exceptions to the rule. I feel that it is totally reasonable for zebras to be sold at their market value.

I agree with the comments of the anon poster, regardless of what he paid for them he can now sell them for substantially more because the market dictates it. I honestly believe that if you want zebras that much you will make the necessary sacrifices to get them.

Adam
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I agree with all of the above. I have just one more thought... there are a lot of people who buy fish because they're pretty, but do not really have the skills or level of interest to give fish an environment where they can thrive. With the few zebras that are around, I think the scary price tag is almost a good thing as it makes sure the zebras that do still exist are at least going to be cared for as best as they can. At £100+ each, no one is going to take the responsibility lightly. I think that the current price will do more to keep the zebras in the hands of the real enthusiasts. How many more of these rare fish would be lost if they were cheap to buy and ended up in any old tank. How many would be dropped in dirty tanks as "algae eaters", etc.

I know it's frustrating, but in a way, I think it goes some way towards protecting the fish. Anyway, that's my two cents worth... :wink:
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Unfortunatly i agree too! lol i was just after someone sypathy and someone to give me one! ( not like that Dr.P) ;)

Going rate

Post by Guest »

One thing is for sure, no one is going to get a Zebra plec on the cheap and no one should ask for this. If anyone wants a Zebra badly enough they must realise they have to pay the going rate.
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Re: Going rate

Post by Dan D' Man »

Anonymous wrote:One thing is for sure, no one is going to get a Zebra plec on the cheap and no one should ask for this. If anyone wants a Zebra badly enough they must realise they have to pay the going rate.
Not true....Shelly, your emotional plea got to me....& if I was in the UK, I would give you one for free...I mean it. Kinda of share the wealth amongst dedicated fishkeepers; besides we get them cheaper over here. Keep on looking, you need to find a partner for your blue-eyes! :D
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I thank you Dan ( i think ) for your kind jesture! lol ill get some dont u guys worry i know i have to pay but everyone wants somethngs for nothing dont they? or is that just me