DATZ/Aqualog

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

DATZ/Aqualog

Post by Jenny »

The DATZ L-number book is available - does anybody know how it compares with Aqualog?

http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/boo ... l.asp?id=5
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Seahorse,

I recently picked up a copy of Aqualog, I also have the latest edition of Datz. Personally I think that both are essential buys for the L number enthusiast. I prefer Datz as it is less confusing in that it doesn't have all the possible variants of a particular L number. I can't see the point in showing pictures of variants that you are highly unlikely to ever see unless of course you're Japanese, it just confuses things. Datz, for me anyway, shows fish that you are more likely to see at your LFS. Apart from their entry for L236, I doubt that I will ever see one like that let alone get to buy one. My only criticism of Datz is that it does not list the LDA numbers, I'm not sure if this is available as an additional supplement.

A couple of suppliers I have spoken to have said that they find Datz more accurate. That said when I've enquired for a rarer less known L number at an LFS I have noticed more often than not that it's Aqualog that they reach for.

Adam
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks, Adam

I think I will go with the DATZ particularly because the price is so different. I was offered the new Aqualog at a LFS at £69. 50 which I thought was very steep.

BTW, congratulations on being the new moderator - your posts have always been helpful and informative.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the kind words seahorse :D .

I managed to get my copy of Aqualog for £65 but that was only because I bought quite a few fish at the shop and I think the owner took pitty on me for having just driven 220 miles :shock: . The paper back edition works out a bit cheaper at about £55, I would still say it's well worth buying. As you say though Datz is considerably cheaper but is only available in paper back, my copy is starting to look a bit haggered now. Just a thought, if you purchase a TFF membership for £8 you get a discout on a copy of Datz. I know it doesn't work out to much but you are entitled to a 10% discount on certain items at participating stores. As an example, I purchased 9 zebras from a LFS last year and made a saving of £75 which basically meant that one of the zebras was £4 short of being "free". I'm always flashing my TFF card, alright 10% discount doesn't amount to much on some items but it all adds up and I know I have saved a fair bit of money already.

Regards.

Adam
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Adam, thanks for the info.

The TFF card certainly looks worth it, I'll have to look at the participating stores to see if they are any I deal with. If I had 10% off all that I have spent over the last two years I would have saved loads!!!!

Who said fishkeeping wasn't expensive :roll: