fry with bump

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

fry with bump

Post by Cascudo »

As I mentioned before, two of my fry have a bump on their body.
I realize that I should send a picture, but I don't have a digital camera available at the moment.

I will describe it more precisely:
Two of the fry have one bump on the side of their body. The bump of one of them seems to have diminished, but the other one's got pretty big.
The colour of the bump is dirty white, somewhat yellowish.

I have never seen something before on a fish. Although it must be inconvenient for the fry, they continue to grow though.

Has anyone seen something like this before?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Cascudo,

It's pretty difficult to say what the problem could be without a picture but I understand that you can not provide one at the moment. If the affected area doesn't display any localised reddening then I would personally leave it alone. I would resist the temptation to swab the area with an antibacterial treatment as this would remove the fishes protective mucus layer which could give you even bigger problems. For the time being I would just keep a close eye on the zebra and the growth. You say that the fish is still growing which obviously means it's still feeding and in good health. However if the growth either changes in appearance or becomes an open wound you should consider treatment immediately.

Is the growth similar to the one on Duma's fish in this thread?

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343

Adam
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your reply! :D

It really looks like this lump. It is only much bigger in relation to the fry :?
Don't worry, I wasn't planning any physical operation on the fry, because the fry is way too small to handle. I just wondered if I could apply some medicine to the water.

It seems some zebra ailment, as my male also has it as long as I know.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Cascudo,

I bought some corydoras recently that developed a white growth, one on its pectoral fin and one on the dorsal, which is I believe some type of Virus, ( maybe like carp pox). These got bigger as time went on. The fish shop I bought these from , later told me that other fish in their system developed the same problem. Just as an experiment , I tried Esha2000 and it cleared the problem totally, but it may be a different problem to yours.I have tried Esha 2000 with my fry without any problems.

Regards,
Des.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Des,

I am happy to hear that! :D

I hadn't seen your reply yet. But I coincidently already started a EsHa2000 treatment on monday.
I use a normal dose of 25 drops/100l the 1th day and 12 drops/100l the next two day. I did not have the courage to use the double dose, because I want to see how the babies respond first.

Which dose did you use with your fry?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Cascudo,

The corys that had the problem, were in the zebra breeding tank, which had my first 3 fry. When I used the ESHA2000 I used the standard dosage but carried on using the first days dosage on days 2 and 3 also.

Regards,
Des.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Hi Des,

The second day I already applied half the standard dosage, but today I applied the full standard dosage to give the virus an afterburner. :twisted:

Funny thing is that the shrimps seem to dislike the ESHA2000, they start swimming like crazy when I apply it. It won't kill them anyhow, I have already experienced it (after reassuring on internet off course).
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

My fry are completely cured now!!!!! :D :D :D

The week that Des me advised to use ESHA2000 I used a dosage of 40:20:40 (3 days).
A week later the lumps were almost gone. To finish it off I used once more a dosage of 40:40:40.

Now they are all free from lumps and already rather big and fat!

I am very releaved :D

Des, thanks for the advice!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Cascudo,

I am so glad to hear that your fry have been cured :lol: . I'm more than glad to have helped. Isn't that what a community is all about?.

Regards,
Des.