Electrical leakage.

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Adam

Electrical leakage.

Post by Adam »

Hi everyone,

I have a slight problem with my community tank and I was wondering if someone could save me from having to visit casualty/ER soon. Recently I have noticed that during tank maintenance on my alluminium effects tank I receive electric shocks when my hands are in the water and in contact with the side of the tank. They are not powerful shocks but it's enough to make me do the electric boogaloo :lol: .
I know its not funny, to be honest I am more worried about the occupants of the tank. I have managed to isolate the problem to the tanks hood but I have checked all fittings and all seems ok. I was wondering if I attached an earth cable to the tank if that would help. I am starting to dread the thought of maintenance on the tank knowing that I will have to spend about half an hour jigging around getting electrocuted :x .

Any advice will be much appreciated :D .

Adam.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Adam,

Try to identify where the electric shocks come from first. Unplug the heater, as that would be the first suspect in my opinion, then see if you still get chocked. Unplug one thing after the other until you find the culprit, and replace/repair it :) I'm sure it can't be healthy, and probably a disaster waiting to happen, if you don't do something about it ;)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi McEve,

I have systematically checked all of the tanks equipment by turning things on one by one and I have isolated the problem to the alluminium hood. I have changed the bulbs and the starter units and made sure that everything is water tight, I still get shocked though. I'm thinking that because the tank's frame and hood is alluminium it needs to be earthed and hopefully that should resolve the problem. When I have my hands in the water and come into contact with either the hood or the frame I seem to be acting as an earth. I think the fish are quite safe as they are unlikely to come into contact with any of the tanks alluminium bits. Oh well it looks like I'll be doing the electric boogaloo again tonight as I need to do a water change in the tank. I could always wear a pair of marigolds that should stop me getting electrocuted :D .
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Adam,

I have the same tank and don't have that problem, not with the original one, or the one I've modified for T5 tubes. There's got to be something that's not right with the hood... have you checked one set of tubes turned on at a time? I assume yours have four tubes, to sets, like mine?

I don't like the thought of you getting these shocks, and neither do you by the sounds of things! You get more and more apprehensive about putting your hands into that tank don't you :)

You could alwaystry with a wire from the hood to something that will act as ground, but I don't see that as a solution, merely as a workaround, and not a very satisfactory one... And I'm frankly more concerned about you than the fish :)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,

I believe that you have possibly a single stray wire from the electical cable touching the hood or maybe moisture/water causing some sort of short circuit. If you are unable to identify the problem, you should contact the shop you bought it from if it is still under warranty for a free replacement ( as they or the tank manufacturer would not want any negative publicity).
Water/aquarium shocks are extremely dangerous.Not something to be taken lightly.

Des
az1
Groupie

Post by az1 »

Hi Adam

Must agree with the advice for caution. If you have absolutely proven that the hood is the cause of your problem then turn it off and do not use it again until the problem is fixed.

Even earthing the hood will not fix the problem as there is electrical leakage. If you have an earth leakage circuit on the power point then it will throw the circuit and you will not be able to turn it on.

One possible reason that there is a problem wil the hood that you can't readily see is that they haved screwed through the electricals in fixing the various element of the hood together.

I have had the electrical leakage problem in aquriums on a number of occasions. One was where a heaters lead had the insulation cut by the aqurium lids another and constant source is from power heads that seem to have a problem with wear in the impellor area which then allows electricity to pass throught to the water. I always disgard any of these faulty items immediately as live is worth more than the cost of the replacement item.

By the way under our electrical rules (aus) any metal fittings (like a metal hood and also fluro lights ) must be earthed and I think any new house light circuit must now have an earth wire included.

Cheers

Andreas
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

careful adam, you should take care of your electrical problem before you do anything else
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

They make grounding probes for sw tanks, as the water tends to carry current even more readily, if you can believe that after the jolt you took! I would definitely be for taking that hood back and getting it replaced. If the store won't do it, call the manufacturer and explain to them what's happening to you. If that doesn't work, give ME the number for the manufacturer and I'll call them. It might not help, but it can't hurt at that point. I find it hard to believe they'll expect you to continue using a piece of their equipment that is faulty. It's hard to know just how good the customer service is on the other side of the pond from me. Hopefully it will be as good as ours tends to be.

I've taken a pretty hefty jolt a time or two. The store I managed in Anchorage had a central system. One of the tap tanks only had glass strips under the light, not under the front of the light. It seems someone nudged one of the strips forward and the light wasn't supported from underneath. Needless to say you get lit right up when one end of the light is completely submerged. I was 10 tanks away, standing on rubber matting, but happened to touch the metal frame with my wrist as I was netting a fish.

The boss couldn't understand why I put a complete stop to all projects until this problem was searched out and solved. He also didn't want to stick his hand in the tank and try for a repeat of the experience though. Can't imagine why!

There are links to problems with the central nervous system/lateral line in many types of SW fish, and some of the larger FW cichlids such as oscars and what not. They attribute some of the cause of HITH now to stray voltage. They also say diet, parasites and nitrates can be contributing factors. It definitely won't hurt to get the problem solved as soon as possible though! Til then, do you have any of those little rubber flip flop shoes? They can save you a nasty shock, as long as you don't touch anything else metal while you're in there!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI ADam

I sagree with Everyone else on this one mate. Especially Barbie. Get in touch with the supplier or manufacturer. If you don't have any luck let me know, ( it might be cheaper for me to call than Barbie). I am a huge stickler with customer service, and due to the type of work I do, I can be like a dog with a bone when I get going!!! :twisted: :twisted: I used to do alot of climbing, this has fallen from the wayside, and I find I now get my adrenaline rush form solving problems like this!!!! :wink: (I must be getting old)

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the sound advice and health warnings guys :wink: . I know I joked about the situation but I have treated the matter very seriously indeed. Since receiving the first couple of shocks all tank maintenance has been conducted with the lighting unit off and disconnected at the mains, In fact the lights were left off for most of the time. I have dismantled the lighting unit and removed it from the hood now, what a job that was. Phoned the LFS where I got the tank from 4 years ago and he was very sympathetic. Whislt he couldn't replace the unit at no cost because it's off waranty he did make me a good offer. He said that he would replace the lighting unit at less than cost price and that he would give me a 3 bulb T5 unit instead of a 2 bulb flourescent unit . I provisionally said yes to the T5 unit but I'm more inclined to just go for the conventional flourescent unit. T5 lighting is the neon based lighting if I remember correctly. Is this lighting not more appropriate for a marine rather than a freshwater setup? Oh by the way the T5 unit would cost me £80 and the flourescent unit £50. Is it worth upgrading to the T5 lighting?

Thanks very much for all the advice guys :D .

Adam
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

T5's put off more light per watt, basically. It's used as a cheap method of getting light on marine tanks due to the bulbs smaller size. Basically you can cram more of them into the same space for a brighter light output. They are nice lights. With that said, make sure it's a good brand of T5 light. The cheap ones are the source of one of my other shocking experiences!

The big joke at work is that I'm very allergic to electricity (I'm actually just allergic to most everything else!). They say it makes me break out in a bad case of bitchy :p. I truly sympathize with your dilemna, believe me! Hope you get it fixed soon!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]