Shy Young Zebra.

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Shy Young Zebra.

Post by Andrew C »

I got this young Zebra about six weeks ago and put it in a tank with 8 Trilineatus Corys.
Never seen it much, apart from when cleaning.
It's taken up residence at the back of a sponge filter even though there is caves in the tank for it.
Recently i've noticed half an hour or so before the lights go out, it pokes its head down from under the sponge filter, watching the other fish, then it slowly ventures out from behind the sponge, sometimes onto the tank floor.
Managed to get some pictures of having a peek out, before it slowly works it way to the tank floor, though as soon as it spots me its back behind the sponge again !

Last edited by Andrew C on Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I can't see the pictures... :(
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Can you see the pictures now ?

Andrew.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

He does look very small. How large is he? Zebra's are social creatures, in the sense that they form a community with a hierarchy. My little one always hang out together, maybe because they feel safer in numbers. Maybe he feels a need to be extra cautious for being alone.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Its about 2 inches in length, don't know its sex yet.

I have a trio of adults in another tank, they've been in there for eight months, just didn't want to upset the three of them yet by adding another zebra.

Dop you think adding the young one would upset them ?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Personally I don't think so, as he's too young to try to change the hierarchy in the other group.

If it was my fish I would have put them together, but wait and see what the others think :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Andrew,

I too think you should put him in with the other zebras, if as you say he is 2" in length he should be ok. He will be better off with his own kind, I noticed that he currently shares with 8 corys. Competion for food with the corys may be too much for him.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

I had been wondering about that.
I always tried putting a bit of food on top of the sponge filter after lights hoping he would find it during the night.

It was always gone in the morning, but it was probably the Corys that scoffed it.

I will put the young one in with the other Zebras later on today.

Andrew.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I still can't see the pictures! If I right click on the little square where the picture goes, I can get the URL but when I try to go there, I get "page cannot be displayed". Hmmmm... I wonder what's happening? :?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Hey... just went back to it and there's the pictures... huh? :shock: Gremlins, methinks!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's the daemon, he's mostly known for residing in your E-mail client, but sometimes venture out to cause havoc on thee web as well :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself, pay no attention to me! :lol:
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Moved him into new digs and he's already been moved on from his one spot under the log, by one of the females :x
He's actually only 1.5 inches in size !