Zebra killed.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Adam

Zebra killed.

Post by Adam »

I just crushed one of my zebras to death with a large piece of bogwood while cleaning my tank :cry: :cry: .

I feel like a right idiot and I'm so pissed at myself :x .

Here's the poor fella:

du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

im sorry to see that adam :cry:
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Oh Adam! I'm so sorry! Doodoo does occur sometimes, but that's just a terrible loss for you :( If it's any consolation, you aren't the only one to have squashed one or your favorites with decor. I once lost a tropheus that had hidden in a rock I was moving around. They NEVER hide, so I didn't think to look like I would have in the pleco tanks. I found it the next time I did a water change, or what was left of it :(.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry for you loss Adam :( None of us have any Zebras to loose so this must feel horrible :( Don't be too hard on yourself though, accidents do happen! looks like he got his tail trapped under the bogwood?

Cheer up and focus on your other Zebra's :) I'm sure you'll get compensated with a nice batch of eggs from the group activity in the cave soon!
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

sorry to hear tat adam.i am also very scared always when i do a bit of cleaning that i might crush a zebra so when i grab a rock orso i try to grab it firmly and pull it straight out of the tank becuase i am scared that it will slip my hands and drop on the zebras.
keep your head up and concentrate on the future hopefully you will be rewarded with regular batches of eggs.
cheers
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

sorry to hear about that, Adam! :( Hopefuly your others will reward you.. :wink:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Oh my word! I can just imagine the horror that washed over you when you realised what happend! I have knocked pieces of slate over with zebras under them and always wondered if they'd always get out of the way quick enough. Guess not... :cry: Oh Adam, that is so sad. I don't know you, but he's a giant e-hug anyway. Sorry to hear about this.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,

Sorry to hear this bit of sad news, and a female too.
You must be cursing yourself, but it was very brave of you to tell us about it.
I too nearly had a misfortune a few weeks ago when cleaning out one of my plec tanks, removed all my bogwood ( after checking first) into a plastic container.An hour later when replacing the bogwood into the tank, found a L260 in a few mm of water in the container,a little worse for wear, but managed to survive.
Just a couple of days ago, found a clutch of eggs in the other zebra breeding tank. Removed them to a fry container . The next day a couple hatched. The others were stll alive in the egg sacks. In the evening found all covered in fungus and were dead including the hatched ones. They may have had traces of fungus , thats why the dad may have chucked them out.The thing is this: Weekend before last, took out a heavily laden female from the stock tank for some photos, then put it in a breeding tank which already had 2 males and 1 female. The unfortunate thing is that I did not realise that she had laid,( about 3 days after being put in) and continued to do cold water changes, which is what I believe caused the distress to the fry and the fungus catching on. I too kicked myself.
Regards,
Des
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I am sorry Adam! Was he one of the active group members? even still a lose is a lose :cry: :cry: Here is an even BIGGER!! e-Hug!! ;)
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

I am so sorry to hear of your accident Adam.

I know how sorry i was when i killed one of my fry, so i can only imagine how sorry you are for loosing an adult.

Best Regards

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I still feel like a right idiot over the whole incident but you guys made me feel better. It's nice to see that everybody cares which is why I think this is a great forum.

I'm always careful when I clean the zebra tanks so I really don't know how I managed to kill the zebra. I only noticed well after the water change that I had pinned one of them under a piece of bogwood.

All I can say is be really careful with your zebras when moving tank decor around.

Thanks once again guys.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Adam

Sorry to hear that mate. it's always devastating, no matter what the circumstances. I can almost hear the cursing your saying to yourself, (or out loud). I found one of my hatchets stuck to the wall behind the tank once.... I felt guilty as hell.... !

How are the rest of them doing.............I think we should all club together and send you down some scottish water!!! :lol:

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers Rob, I felt pretty crappy about it yesterday. I just couldnt believe my stupidity, I've sort of come to terms with it today and put it down as another one of those costly mistakes. The rest of the zebras are fine it's like nothing ever happened, I guess they don't know any better. I'm just thankful that it was a juvenile and not a sexually mature adult, it was still a young female though :cry: .

I had a similar experience with hatchets many years ago in my first community tank. They kept on disappearing and I never found any bodies. When I eventually moved house and I dismantled the tank I found half a dozen dried hatchets behind the tank :shock: . I thought that the tanks lid was tight enough, obviously it wasn't :( .

Could really do with some Scottish water, if you do send some just make sure it's got plenty of malt in it :wink: .
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I am very sorry to hear that Adam.

Dont blame yourself, it was an accident.