does this look like a male??

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
du ma
Obsessed!!

does this look like a male??

Post by du ma »

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

it could be either male or female in my opinion. I've got a lady which is much more hairy on the pectorial fin than the fish in the picture. It's sometimes possible to tell from the odontodes on the fins only, but then from a front view. If there's so much odontodes that it forms a black area, it could be a male, but from behind it's impossible to tell.

Try to get a picture taken from above and the side, and I'm sure somebody will be able to tell, as it looks like an adult :)

Is the fish a bit thin or is it just the angle that gives this impression?

It looks like an L98, have you been able to get a spawn from them yet? It will be exciting to see if the fry also get the same patterning! :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

It's very difficult to tell from the angle of that shot. Judging from the thickness of the leading pectoral fin and the lack of substantial odontode growth I would guess it's a female. If you can manage an overhead or side profile shot it would be easier to sex the zebra more accurately.

As McEve says it would be interesting to see what the offspring of your L098s look like :D .
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi duma,

Require a side picture of the head and pectoral fins ( also showing cheek whiskers clearly) to be absolutely sure , but at the moment would say.........female.

Regards,
Des.
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

here is another picture of it

heres 2 more that i cannot determine. but im guessing theyre all males
ImageImage

last one
ImageImage

theyre all atlease 2.75"

thanks
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi du ma

All the ones in your last post look like males to me.

They have beatuliful and unusal patterning all of them, lovely fish :)
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

nah no fries yet :( but its ok

so do you guys still think the first is a female?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Du ma,

My view is
First :Female
Second: Female ,though not 100%sure due to reverse picture.
Third: Male 200%sure.

Du ma, check out the long cheek whiskers on the third picture, which denote male, together with longer bristles on the leading pectoral fin.
The other 2 pictures show whiskers that are much smaller, which denote females, together with shorter bristles on the leading pectoral fin. You can check these for yourself, in front of the 2 live zebras , from picture one and two,and let us know.

Regards,
Des.