Subadult Fisticuffs

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

valhallan
Groupie

Subadult Fisticuffs

Post by valhallan »

I've had two subadults for a little under a month now, and I think they are just starting to settle in. Yesterday I was nosing around in the tank and noticed that one of them had a very pronounced reddish tint to its pectoral fins. From what I'd read on here, I just put it down to them working out a pecking order now that they're starting to settle. Today though, the same zeb that had the reddish pectorals, seems pretty torn up all over. Its pectoral and anal fins look rather ragged, and now the anal fins are showing some red too.

The other zeb shows no signs of fighting whatsoever. As these are the only two fish in a 50G tank, I'm a little worried. Is the other zeb really so superior that it's not taking any hits at all? Or could there be something else going on? I can move the ragged one if it becomes necessary, but I thought I'd see what people on here think first.

Val
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Here's a picture:

I'm concerned about the way its underside looks aswell. Is this fish just well-fed, or something else?

Val
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

What are the water parameters like? Is he eating ok?

When popeye the sailor forearms (yes that's his name now :lol: ) had the reddish tint on his pectorals I couldn't see any signs of fighting on the other male either. He was fine the next day, but he didn't have tattered fins..

His belly looks just well fed, all mine have that pot belly, so I don't think there's any need for concern there, rather the oppsit, a well fed fish will recover quicker :)

I'd keep an eye on it, and check the water parameters. There's enough hidingplaces in the tank?

What do you others think?
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

I checked the water parameters this morning:

pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Conductivity: 225 us
Temp: 86F

Nothing there I didn't expect. I have 4 fry in a fry trap suspended in this tank, and would expect them to show distress at any problem with the water quality before the larger fish.

I can't really tell how it's been eating, as the tank has so much circulation I can't tell whether the food's gone because it's been eaten or because it's been blown away :? I've been trying to work on it to create some dead spots for the food to settle, but had minimal success at best. Last night though, I did catch the other zeb prowling around in a bunch of hikari carnivore pellets (the only kind of food that will stay in one spot).

There is a fair amount of slate in the tank, stacked up to form caves and crevices. So far they have both pretty much chosen a spot and stayed there since I've had them. I did see the one with the tattered fins trying to muscle in on the other guy's spot a couple of nights ago though, before the redness etc. When I checked on the sore guy this morning, it was still in the same little crevice it's been in since yesterday.

Oh, and speaking of popeye (good looking guy btw :wink: ) the other zeb is actually starting to look bigger than this one. I haven't actually pulled them out to compare, but still. They were exactly the same size when I got them.

Val
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Looks like you were spot on McEve, not that I doubted you :D The pot belly went away after a night of feeding only pellets and not your homemade food. I actually saw the one with the ragged fins scarfing down a chunk of homemade last night, it's quite an experience seeing them eat for them first time. The red in the fins has mostly gone away. It's still a little ragged, but I'm sure that'll heal too.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm glad to hear he's doing better Valhallan, best of luck!