Food for zebras?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Adam

Post by Adam »

I'll raid the fridge later on to see what greens I can find, my Mrs likes to get those mixed bags of leafy salad. She's been trying to get me eat more green stuff for months now.

It's always good to add another food type to the zebras menu.

Has anyone noticed that they also like to chew on a bit of driftwood? I know that my lot do this as I aways find tiny bits in the tank and their doo doo is often very dark in colour.
urchysj

SEAWEED!

Post by urchysj »

Hi. Maybe hold the phone on the leafy greens. Just last night, I think I found something better. I paid CAN$4.25 for the package. 1 bag of "spring mix" is about the same price.
I put this "Seaweed Selects" in my tanks last night. All my plecos got to try it except the L134's
The Queen Arabesques, Zebras, Goldies/Sunshines, Titanics all got it. In the morning, on every clip, the seaweed was gone! In every tank. But...I did see a bit floating around in the baby Zebra tank, so they may be pulling it apart and then it floats around. SO, they are either eating it like mad, or it is disintegrating. I think they are eating quite a bit of it. So, this stuff is way more appealing to the plecos over the spring mix greens. On the package of seaweed, it says no Romaine. Maybe Romaine is bad for them. It also says "100% Digestable" Any extra opinions on the seaweed? They only think I don't like is that the uneaten stuff really floats around the tank.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

where abouts did u get it from and what was the name ? thanks
Adam

Post by Adam »

If I remember correctly don't marine fishkeepers feed something similar. I've seen the staff at my LFS feeding what appears to be seaweed to their fish. I will find out what they are using the next time I'm there.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

It's a whole lot cheaper to just buy Nori sheets from the grocery store. They are the same product, but made for sushi. Just make sure to buy the Japanese style to avoid added salts and what not.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
urchysj

Name

Post by urchysj »

BTW, there are more than one type if you want to use the pet shop seaweed...if you can't find what Barbie suggested. It's the "pleco passion" type of "Seaweed Selects". Avail in 12g and 30gram packages.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

is it frozon or dried
:?:
urchysj

Post by urchysj »

Dried.
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

Has anybody here tried the Hikari sinking carnivore pellets with the resealable top, it says on the packet for large bottom carnivores fish, but the pellets are only small ive bought a pack and might try with the zebs what do u think??

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I have just got some the the Hikari carnivore pellets. They are/were intended for my new L260s but they totally ignore them, favouring Tetra Prima instead. In fact they LOVE the tetra Prima. However, in my main community tank all the fish love the carnivore pellets, from the angelfish through the the corys!! :roll:

When I had my zebras they also thrived on tetra prima and the odd feed of frozen blood worm.

Cheers

Tom
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

i put them in last night and they have all been eating so they musyt like them.
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

I feed a good amount of frozen bloodworms. I have also fed live blackworms but they seem to have taken residence in the tank and now seem to be buddies with the zebras :roll:

Occasionaly frozen brineshrimp and frozen daphnia. They didn't seem to care much for mysis and zuccini seemed to be strictly for the snails pleasure.

I have tried mussels and shrimp and think they ate some but not large amounts. Actually it doesn't seem like zebras eat large amounts of anything.

For dry food I feed all my fish Aquadine flake which you can get custom blended or just pick a variety. I usually mix High Protein and Spirulina with a little community tank mix and they love it just lika all my other fish.
I have also had luck with Wardleys sinking shrimp pellets.

A quick question for the ones who are breeding on regular basis - do you change what you feed when conditioning for spawning? How do you feed for that?
Thanks
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Where do you get Mysis shrimp from?