Light

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Light

Post by Shell231 »

Do zeb tanks need light? if so how long should i leave it on for, should i replicate the lights hours as it is in the Rio Xingu
Adam

Post by Adam »

Any standard aquarium lighting will do: Triton, Florasun etc. I would say that bright lighting is not necessary and probably isn't liked by the zebras. After all in the Xingu they are about 8 ft down and the light filtering down to that sort of level would no longer be bright. If you have a planted aquarium I would say 8 to 10 hours a day is enough, depending on what type of plants you have. However if the aquarium is not planted then you wouldn't need half as much. Personally I have my lights off all day and only put them on in the evening for a few hours just to observe the zebras. It's really down to what suits you and your setup.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Thats what i was thinking of doing, i was just going to flick it on once i got home see to see any action and then turn it off and feed them really
Adam

Post by Adam »

I forgot to say that my zebras seem to be more active with the lights off. Depending on where you put your tank I think that natural daylight is more than enough.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I have 2 of the tanks not all zebs unfortunatly, at the back of a well lit room so i think i will not even bother with a light ill just turn the light in the room on that is more than enough!