Dr Gribbs 'sold out of caves@

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Dr Gribbs 'sold out of caves@

Post by Jenny »

Dr.Gribbs is out of caves until the Summer (July/Aug) - waiting list only. :(

Does anybody know of an alternative supplier or perhaps there is someone who would like to sell a couple. :lol:

Decorating is not a problem but cutting slate could be a big problem for me so I think I'll give making my own a miss!!!!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Make your own! there is tons of threads on it in this forum! go to search and type in " breedin caves " you should get loads. hope this helps
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Some people just use plastic pipes used for drains. You can get them at any plumbing supply place...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Zebras have been bred in plastic pipes that have been capped off at one end. Just be sure to use UPVC plastic piping and nothing else as some plactics are treated with chemicals that are toxic to fish.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

An alternative to using slate when building caves is fake brick fronts. (the material isn't fake, it's like a brick) They come in a size that fits the top and bottom of the cave perfectly, and cutting the sides is easy as they're made of clay.

That's the material I used for the caves I buildt into the terraces on the 250L.
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve, that explains the redish colouring of the caves in your new setup. I thought it might not be slate but wasn't sure. Is that stuff easier to work with than slate?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

MUCH easier. You can use one of those handheld tilecutters (that don't cut tiles anyways) with no problem on those.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Most any shop that sells tile, CUTS tile, as long as you don't need too much of it done. If you ask nicely and offer to pay whatever it costs to get the tiles cut into strips, you'll probably end up paying a dollar at most. It's really not rocket science to make the caves, as long as they don't need to be presentable to company, :lol: My caves are relatively ugly, but my fish spawn in them, so who cares!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's also a much nicer feeling knowing you made them yourself, for your fish :)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Seahorse,

Since I already have the gear to make them, I can make some for you. I have already made some for Mindy. You can see them in some of her photos.
How many did you want? Send me a pm.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Seahorse, I'd just like to say Des's caves are top notch. I'm really pleased with them. And more to the point, so are my Zebras. :wink: