L-28 sex ?

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
kasper
Groupie

L-28 sex ?

Post by kasper »

Hi

Can you see the sex of these L-28 ?

Thanks
Kasper
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Kasper,

Unfortunately your pictures arent too clear.Cannot see any spots/dots on your fish either.
I too, bought 5 X L028 last week, and none of mine show typical male Hypancistrus Characteristics. I am not 100 % sure that they are in fact genuine L028's. I had ordered them, unseen. Either they are all female or could be some type of Peckoltia species where the differences are not that noticeable. I will try and post some pictures of mine soon, to compare with yours.

Des.
kasper
Groupie

Post by kasper »

Hi

They have spots. They just lose their black color when stessed...

Waiting to see your picure :D

Kasper
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Kasper,

Here is a picture of one of my L028. Is it identical to yours?

Does anyone know whether this is a genuine L028?. It does not look like the pictures on Planet catfish. Though elsewhere on the net ,L028 is described as the gold spot plec. Mine appears to have gold spots.
All 5 of mine appear to have small cheek bristles, so assume that they are all females. Will post some more pictures if required.

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Kasper,

If you could take some close up over-head and side profile shots we could possibly help.

Des,

Must agree your fish doesn't quite match with the entry for L28 on PC. I had a look in the latest issue of Datz and your fish looks very similar to L29(Leporacanthicus galaxias). However I would say that it is L28 as it has smaller spots than L29 and the head shape and mouth appear to be that of a Hypancistrus. A side profile shot may help to clear things up. I do hope that they are not L29 as the Datz entry for their size is 20-25cm :shock: .

Found a couple of links for L28 and L29, see what you think. The top picture for L29 is the exact same one in Datz.

http://www.transfish.de/LCode/L028.jpg

http://www.transfish.de/L29.html

This is the link for the website I found the pictures on.

http://www.transfish.de
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,
Thanks for your help.
Their heads dont look like the ones on the L29 pictures. Will get there in the end. They look like hypancistrus or pecoltias.
Talking about large fish, I bought some leopard scarlet plecs recently, just because I liked them.They looked absolutely miserable in the shop tank. I realise I will have to pass them on to someone with a larger tank at some future date . Mind you, the Golden nuggets and Magnum that I have also get quite large.

Regards,
Des.