Fry have lumps, what can I do?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Fry have lumps, what can I do?

Post by Cascudo »

Recently I discovered that my fry have reddish lumps on their body.
I don't know what it is, but I would like to treat them with garlic, as I already heard about its anti-sceptic qualities.

What is the best way to apply it? And in which quantity?
Should I try to drench the food in garlic? Or do I apply garlic juice to the tank water?
I have read this:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15
But is the size of a matchhead seems to me so little for a 160 liter tank.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Cascudo,

Anychance of some photos of the fry with the problem?. Might be useful in getting a correct diagnosis and therefore a cure.

Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

When I use garlic, I just mash up a clove in a mortar and pestle so it's really juicy and pulverised and melt a bloodworm (etc) cube in it. The food soaks up garlic and the fish both injest it and it gets in the water. I don't try to put all the garlic pulp in the water, but some inevitably does. Some fish will eat it, some won't. But it's easy to see if you want to clean it up later. I have made my tank smell pretty garlicky but it dissipates in a day or so.

One thing I have read is that the garlic must be made fresh as there are two active ingredients that combine when the garlic is crushed to form the "medicinal" ingredient, if you like. But it loses effectiveness after a while. It's only effective when it's fresh. So dried garlic, etc, is just a flavouring really, the active ingredients are long gone.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I didn't know that mindy! Is it the same thing for crushed garlic in jars?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I crushed fresh garlic and mixed it with the prepared babyfood. I did the same with bloodworms for the adult fish. Let's wait for the result.

Interesting that a common vegetable as garlic has this medical qualities.
My wife is Brazilian and over there people believe strongly in the power of organic medicines.
When we have a cold or flue she boils fresh garlic and lime and we the drink resulting tea after it is cooled off.

McEve, I don't think that you have to worry. From the way you describe your care for your zebra's I draw the conclusion that they must be the best looked after zebra's in the world. They may not be that demanding in wanting fresh crushed garlic.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I read a few articles about garlic a while back, it's being hailed as a wonder cure by some. As usual I'm a bit sceptical, I'm not denying any possible effects that it's use may have. What I question is how can it have some many applications? One article said that it increases slime production and that this helps to combat ecto parasites. Another said that it's an attractant for finicky feeders and also acts as an appetite stimulant and yet another article mentioned it's ability to rid fish of intestinal parasites. I don't mean to play devil's advocate but this sounds too good to me :? .

Cascudo, I wouldn't completely rely on the garlic to cure the problem with your fry. Personally I would have a backup plan ready just in case. As Des said pictures of the fry may help with diagnosing the problem.