Live Blackworms & Feeding Prawns Or Shrimp

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

ok then sorted no other fish in there! :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I wouldn't really like to advise what fish to put in with yours. Everyone has their own opinions on these things. I would have thought a guppy was harmless enough, given such a peaceful little fish, but she's a pain in the backside because she robs the food. So you never can tell. Use your common sense... or just keep them on their own!
Adam

Post by Adam »

As Mindy says it really is down to you and also what works for you. The vast majority of people here who have managed to breed their zebras have done it in zebra only setups. Another point to consider is that not many fish will tolerate the sort of current required in a zebra tank.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Adam wrote:That's quite some mix you're going to make up there, the only thing I would consider adding is spirulina. I know that discus keepers who make up their own food use it. What sort of gelatine are you using and where are getting it from?
Adam
The fish have survived there first feeding of my homemade food :)
Only put a small amount of Garlic in it, but that stuff stinks !
Had me wondering if too much garlic can kill them :?

I couldn't get a hold of Sprinula when in the supermarket this time, hopefully be able to get it for the next batch.

The Gelatine is made by "Super Cook" and i got it in my local Asda, it was beside Cake & Jelly making stuff.
The ingredients say, Gluton Free (whatever that is) and it says Beef Gelatine (not sure about that either).
Just thought that, if we can eat it it should be ok !
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Gluten is in wheat and is what gives dough it's stretchiness. If you've ever seen dough kneaded, it's very pliable and stretchy. The more gluten, the stronger the dough, the more strength it has when being kneaded and it can rise well without the structure of the loaf breaking down. Many people have grown intolerant of it these days because wheat is over-used generally. Don't know what effect it would have on a fish, as they probably haven't eaten that much of it in their life and so wouldn't have developed the allergies that we humans have. That said, what use would a fish have for gluten in its diet? If it were me, I would probably avoid it. And you have... so it's all good! :roll:

Proper gelatine is an animal protein and, unless there's something I don't know about, I would have thought it was probably OK.

You'll probably need to go to a health food store to get Spirulina capsules. It's not the sort of thing you'd see in a general grocery store. They aren't the cheapest things in the world, but they'll last you a long time.

I don't think garlic will hurt your fish. In fact, I have crushed garlic and mixed with bloodworm and watched fish eat whole pieces of the stuff. It's has health giving properties that are beneficial to all animals.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Adam,

Have you every managed to breed your zebras? Strange why i haven't asked this quesion before.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

AndrewC,

I used to use Gelatine many years ago when making my beef heart mix, for my Discus,but found that it soon disintegrates in warm water. Dont you find the same? Considering that it is protein,if this is the case then it means the bacteria in the tank have more to work on.

Des.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Des
It dos break up after 10 minutes or so.

Only using the Gelatine to try and hold the food together for a little while, so that that the zebras can get to it before its all over the tank.

I feed after lights out and don't turn off the powerheads.