What diseases are H. zebra most exposed to

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

sharko
Groupie

What diseases are H. zebra most exposed to

Post by sharko »

They are of course exposed to many diseases, but what is considered most common?

Anybody?

What diseases have you had, that you know?
Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Sharko,

I can't say that I have noticed zebras are more susceptible to certain diseases than any other fish. I would imagine that being bottom dwellers would make them more prone to possibly picking something up from the substrate, particular if it is not regularly cleaned.

What I have noticed is that they are prone to secondary bacterial infections as the direct result of territorial disputes. Abrasions and or frayed fins can become infected if not not tended to properly, luckily most wounds are not serious and usually heal of their own accord.

On the whole I have found zebras to be quite a resilient species.

Adam
sharko
Groupie

Post by sharko »

I agree that they are prone to bacterial infections after a territorial dispute; if they get a flesh wound as well they will often get fungus.

Many of the zebras exported -a couple of years ago at least were extremely exposed to ichthyophtirius (ich). Mine had it within 5-7 days in the quarantine tank. They were treated and i did not lose anyone.
I think this applies to WC especially, of several reasons, one being poor handling and care from the catcher down to the hobbyist.
Another is tetrahymena, i lost one a few years back, i found him/her lying in the open and it had a whitish film covering its head, which was not present or noticeable while he/she was alive. This one was WC.

Why ichthyophtirius and tetrahymena? Well before i bought my first i was warned about this and spoke to a couple that also experienced it, so when it happened to me it left me puzzled a bit, because i did everything by the book...

I am trying to figure out if there is any disease that repeats itself for zebra owners and for WC vs tank breed.
Historical speaking... what kind of experience has zebra owners had regarding this issue

So that myself or anyone else is caught off guard, so to speak 8)

I would like to point out that certain diseases are typical for WC and others for tank-raised fish.
Very often diseases break out when WC and tank raised fish come together in one tank.
Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)