HoT stuff!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Ed_R
Obsessed!!

HoT stuff!

Post by Ed_R »

THink 94 degrees is too hot for these guys?
I just caught myself keeping them at that temp. And the heater's set for 82!
Yikes!
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I shoudl say that 94 degrees f is 34.4 degrees CElcius;)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If they aren't dead then I guess they can take it for shorter periods of time anyway :) I would have lowered the temp a tad... a max of 32 and only that high during mating season I think

Thanks for the conversion!
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I was thinking they were at around 89-90, not 94 and a half. I wanted to see if the thermometer was right, though so I doublechecked it with a digital and oops!
Temp getting back to 86-88 in stages.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I use 2 -3 thermometers in my Zebra tank just for cross reference sakes. I actually got a digital thermometer a couple of months back and it started to show readings of 38'C after 2-3 weeks.....I can tell you I nearly filled my pants at that moment. Luckily I had the 3 traditional thermometers in beside the tank to double check the reading. Neadless to say, the digital one gave up the ghost 2-3 days later...I havent replaced it yet....dont intend to either.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I use 90 degrees to condition them and get them eating, but sheesh Ed, they really WILL eat, you don't have to make them think you're trying to make them into bouilliabaise! ;)

I keep the spawning tank at 86, and the other tank where I've had a spawn or two is at 84.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

*getting my conversion calculator out*

yupp, 86F is 28,88888888888888C

I've had my spawns at 29C 8)

I know some Norwegian breeders get their temp up to 32C - that's 89.6F when they want a spawn. I've found conditioning at 27C - 80.6 works fine for me though, and as previously stated, spawn at 29C

Damn - this calculator is great :lol:
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I'm backing it down to around 86. WE'll see what happens.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I usually keep my young at about 86, and drop it down to about 82-83 as they get older, (past about 1 year). The adults are kept at about 82-83 until it gets to breeding time, then it eventually hits around 85-86 (after the tanks has been allowed to cool for a few hours with a big water change.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"