Behavior questions

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Behavior questions

Post by Ed_R »

I've got the two zebras, one smaller than the other. THe larger one, the more recent acquisition, likes it out in the open and moves around alot, while th eother one likes it under cover. I'm hoping those are sexual behaviorisms but who knows.
But that's not where my question is;) The beigger one has been clinging to the glass a lot lately. I ahdn't seen this behavior very often in zebras before- in fact, the smaller one has never once done it in my presence. What about for you guys? Do zebras hit the glass very often? I'm under the impression that they don't do it often but that it's probably not something to worry about.
ANy thoughts?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Ed_R

How long have you had him. Have you seen him eating at all, and does he move when you go near the tank.

If it moves quick enough, no problem, if it stays where it is, it would insuate that it is lathargic, and not entirely aware of it's surroundings. This could be due to not eating.

If on the other hand it's belly is not hollow, and you have seen him eating I doubt you have enything to worry about.

Maybe he likes the view!! :lol:

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I guess I've had the newer one for about a week? Maybe a bit ore. BUt I've had the smaller one since August at least, and I have never seen either one of them eat!
THe belly of this beast isn't sunken, though- neither specimen shows signs of starvation. NEither are lethargic, either- both wigggle and dance when I shine a ight upon them, and the bigger one moves around quite a bit. I'd just never seen teh smakller one suck glass, so I was curious. How often do yours do that sort of thing?
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I've had my 4 Zebras since September last year. I have never seen any "suck glass". The only one that does is the fry in the breeding trap. The 4 I own, have very different personalities. A couple like to move around a bit while others like to chill in their wee hang out areas, usually in caves, under rocks/slate/driftwood.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I can't say it happens a great deal, and there seems to be no real rhyme or reason to it.

I noticed it in two of my fish that were ill, i.e. could not acclimatise to captivity and refused to eat, but I have also seen the odd female cling to the glass everynow and again, usually as a way of getting closer to the dominant males cave.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I suppose we'll see if there were any evil portents. I still haven't seen either of them eat, but they now have both been transferred to their new home, a 20 long, with 5 silver mollies to jeep them company. I just hope they soon begin eating when fed instead of behind my back!
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

5 Silver Mollies? Aren't (mature) Mollies brackish water fish?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Dr. P wrote:5 Silver Mollies? Aren't (mature) Mollies brackish water fish?
Yes, techically, but they are fairly hardy and will adapt and breed like most of the livebearers. I agree that they have differing water perameter requirements in the wild. (zebras soft acidic, mollies alkaline and salty(hard))
But hey, if it works :?
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

THey are brackish, sure. But they were alos 99 cents each and I wanted to test the setup before I put the zebras in it;)