Slate

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Slate

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I picked up some great slate for the tank from the garden centre. Do you think I should do anything special with if before putting it into the tank, apart from wash it. I always boil bogwood just to be sure there is nothing masty in it - do you think a quick boil of the slate would be a good idea or am I just being paranoid?

Angela
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

I just give it a good scrub and so far so good :)
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

I thought so, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone had a bad experience to share!!

Cheers
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I use a lot of stuff from a local stone and gravel yard. My biggest concern is that trucks and loaders commonly run through the place delivering and dumping stuff or loading it into outgoing vehicles. I am somewhat concerned about oil or other fluids as well as exhausts possible contaminating stuff.

Dropping slate or rocks into a pot of boiling water often reveals any potential contaminents because you will see a "slick" develop on the surface of the water. This is thus a good way to make sure there is nothing potentially dangerous about to happen.

However, if you are pretty sure there is nothing more ominous than dust and dirt that needs removing, a good scrub with a brush under hot tap water is often sufficient.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
GrubbyGirl
Groupie

Post by GrubbyGirl »

i think I'll play it safe!