Sudden death of Hypancistrus zebra

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

sharko
Groupie

Sudden death of Hypancistrus zebra

Post by sharko »

After reading a report in Germany about the sudden death of Hypancistrus zebra i wonder if anyone have similar experiences?

I wonder if it is clown loach they are talking about.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... aftung.htm
Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

Uhoh. I have two zebras in with six large clowns.
No snails though.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

It handles about Botia macrachanthus which is indeed the clown loach.

I don't think you have to panic though. I have kept my zebra's some time together with 4 of the smaller Botia striata.
A bigger problem could be that botia's are extremely active fish, and this could cause the zebra's to be shy and not at ease.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's a bit hard to understand excectly what happened from the text in the page, but I get the impression that the Zebras were introduced to a new tank where there was one or more Botias?

If this is the case, couldn't it be a matter of not acclimatizing the fish to the new tank properly?

I might have misunderstood though
sharko
Groupie

Post by sharko »

We are talking about sudden death..within 48 hours or so..

It could be a matter of acclimatizion,that was also my first guess,but on the other hand....

Look at the voting..10% have lost their H.zebra when introduced with "Clown loach"..it does not say how many that voted though...

If it is any truth in this,it should be a problem all over and not only in Germany or Austria.... :wink:
Haven't seen any other reports...
Visit my home page and sign my guestbook:)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi guys,

My first group of 8 zebras spent about 2 months in my community tank before being moved to their own species tank. They lived quite happily with 3 large clown loach and a whole host of other fish in the community tank. I never once witnessed any aggression by the clown loach towards the zebras, perhaps I was just lucky. My cousin has just lost a zebra that was purchased on Sunday. In my oppinion something is going wrong in the acclimatisation period, however I wouldn't totally dismiss the clown loach as possible culprits as they can be very boisterous which would be very unsettling for a newly introduced zebra. All the zebras that I have ever lost have been during the acclimatisation period, usually within a couple of weeks of being purchased.
hamish99
Obsessed!!

Post by hamish99 »

what are the best tank mates for zebras
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

IME - Zebras :)

I've got some Endlers with them right now, to see how that works, but I think the best tank mates for Zebras aare other Zebras... really... Depends on if you want to breed them or not though. Any calm not greedy fish, that do well in strong current, would go well together with Zebras if you're not looking to breed them I guess.

I'm still sceptical concerning the Endlers should the Zebras spawn, and a fry go astray, but we'll see....
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

It is best not to keep them with other bottomfeeders, especially not the boisterous botia's. Even the peaceful cory's are not a wise choice because they eat the food so quickly that little will be left over for the slow zebra's.
I also don't recommend other pleco's, because these are generally bigger and bolder and will intimidate the zebra's.

If you want to keep other fish with the zebra's I would recommend small and peacefull shoaling fish like cardinals, neons or rasbora's. Also surface dwelling fish like hadget fish are ok.

I have Amano shrimp with them that do a great job in cleaning the house.