should i add more....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

du ma
Obsessed!!

should i add more....

Post by du ma »

currently i have 9 in a 60 gallon tank. sizes range from 2.7" to 3.3". are they adults yet? and they always hang around together under a piece of driftwood where its dark, but i can see everyone in there. there are alot of caves for them to hide, some hides in and some hangs around ouside bunched up together. they are some what agressive towards each other. and i see different fishes in the same cave(only one).

is it good to see them all hang around together or is it a bad thing for breeding? i have a few more from another tank, should i add them together? the other ones are slightly smaller by the way

thanks
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

The best thing you can do for your zebras is to provide a lot of caves (rockwork, driftwood, etc.). Make sure to do a lot of water changes (keep them at 84-86) and when doing the changes use cooler water (76-78). This will usually trigger them to spawn.

Provide a lot of frozen/live foods (bloodworms, brine shrimp, chopped red worms, grindals, etc.). You can feed them prepared foods but use frozen at least to condition them for spawning.

Males are usually aggressive so if you see spats this is normal. In the size tank you have, provided there is a lot of cover, it should work. You might be able to add the others but remember males need room. Sounds like a second tank would be useful in your effort. Once you have a known male (larger, thicker pectoral spines, etc.) you might be able to move some of the individuals around to increase your odds of having a breeding group.

While they should spawn at the size you have listed, my colony really got going once they were all closer to 4". Give them the time and effort they need and you should be rewarded. Good luck!