Does this sound right for inducing spawning?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

INXS
Obsessed!!

Does this sound right for inducing spawning?

Post by INXS »

30 gal tank which housed 5 mature zebras (at least 2 females) all well fed.
I just added the zebras from another tank that I am moving so there are now 13.
Temp was 86 and gets lowered with waterchanges.

After I added the additional zebras I also added one more powerhead (4 total) and a bunch more caves and driftwood. There are now more then one hidingspot per fish probably 1.5-2 per fish.

TDS has been lowered with daily waterchanges with cooler water (drops temp about 7 degrees) and has been taken from 345 to 100 over 8 days with one change a day. Regular feedings.

I am at day 10 now and waterchanges have stopped.

What else can I do?
Is there something I should look for to indicate spawning?
Should I start changing the water back to normal?
How about temp and food?
Thanks
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I'd just leave the temp alone. In 5-7 days, start doing 20% water changes every few days with water the same temp as their tank to pull the TDS back up. I always feed the same foods, not just during rainy seasons.

I don't know that that won't be too many zebras at once in that tank. I had 6 in a 20 gallon and they did nothing until I moved them to a 40 long and added 2 more. It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]

Post by Guest »

I know it is too many for the long haul but there are a couple of thoughts behind this.

#1 you ended up throwing most of yours together in frustration and that ended up with a spawn.
THere was a guy on PC who mentioned throwing all of his together in a 20g and getting ready to bag them and sell them because he was too frustrated and then they spawned.
So apperently it has worked before and more then once.

#2 I read one account of rainy season simulation where a girl who used to work for Berlin Zoo mentioned that at spawning time ,( in addition to cooler , lower TDS water , higher current and more caves) many species are observed schooling together and this is when spawning takes place.

Any thought?
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Aaargh - forgot to log in again! :evil:
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Yeah, I know, and that could be a trigger. I just also know that the big male beat the living bejesus out of the subdominant male after I swiped that first batch of fry. Did you ever get in and take a bunch of pics of them from above?

Barbie
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

No I haven't taken any more pix from above since the first time.

Granted there are 13 and I am almost sure there are several females but if they are all the same sex....

... there may be zebras , tanks and all kinds of other stuff for sale soon :evil:
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

Stay with it, they are worth the extra effort in the long run. I am sure you will be rewarded in time. I had a spawn 3 years ago and then nothing for two years, all of sudden they started spawning again out of the blue. I ended up with three spawns in a row from them. If you do decide to get rid of your stuff though, please let us know ;~)
DANthirty
Obsessed!!

Post by DANthirty »

when you guys try and simulate a rainfall to induce spawning how much lower do you make the water that you are adding? my tank is normaly around the 30c mark what sort off temp should i be aiming for with the water changing water.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

hi Danthirty,
I personally have been using RO water which has been stored outdoors so is almost Freezing. This reduces the temp of the tank water by about 7 to 10degrees F. However this water is added slowly using a watering can.
Regards,
Des.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I too shoot for dropping the tank temp 8-10 degrees F. I had always been so careful to match incoming temperatures when I was doing water changes. Seeing how it makes the plecos act, but never causing a problem for them was a real eye opener!

Barbie
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've only simulated one rainy season to date that lasted for 7 days. I used RO water that had been stored in the garage. The first water change freaked me out as the zebras became really active, a few came completely out of hiding for a short while.

For the first 3 days of the simulation water changes were done twice a day, for the remaining 4 days only one water change was done per day.
During this time I observed that the zebras became more active and that there were a lot more territorial disputes.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Whats the best way to lower your TDS??? I currently use RO water....should add tap water?? I think my tap water its around a ph8.2 and the RO water is around 6.7-7...