Import export

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Pajamas
Groupie

Import export

Post by Pajamas »

Hello, I am hoping to get some advice or the rules and laws on importing our beloved zebras as it seems there are many conflicting ideas out there.

It is my understanding that there is a ban on the export of these fish from Brazil. However, if they are somehow to be found in another country other than Brazil for example other breeders, one could purchase them if you have an import license.

So will I be able to ship them in from EU etc if I had a license? What sort of taxes does one pay at the airport? Is there different licenses if importing form other countries than the EU?

Has anyone here had such dealings? Are they cosure?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

yep the only place with a ban on exporting them is Brazil.

Yes you can import them from other EU countries (I have done so myself) and no you don't need an import license. It's all fairly simple as long as you have somone who knows what they are doing at the other end.
Pajamas
Groupie

Post by Pajamas »

Do mind explaining the process to me? It seems fairly complicated to me.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Not really sure what there is to say. Admittedly I was the receiver rather than the shipper so most of the paperwork was not done by me...it was just a case of signing for it.

Have a look here, especially at Alevans post who recommends using APC.

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=#21510
Pajamas
Groupie

Post by Pajamas »

Thanks, I will look into using APC (only recommended for use in UK) for overseas shipping.

Can you remember what company shipped yours? Did you have to collect from an airport?

Cheers
PJ's
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I had to pick them up from Manchester airport..however that was becuase I was purchasing mine along with someone else and it was easier all round if they arrived at Manchester airport.

I must admit I can't remember the carrier at all ( it was possibly Lufthansa but not sure)...Alevans was there at the time also, he would probably remember better than me as it's more his area.