Disaster.....

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GrahamH
Forum Follower

Disaster.....

Post by GrahamH »

I gave them their usual clean just before going on holiday for a week (kids half term).

After viewing the webcam shots, I added some multi layered slate for hiding/adventure purposes.

Zebby looked really happy with the new additions to his environment, and started spending more time amongst the slate than in his terracotta (half) plantpot.

I got home tonight to see his semi decomposed remains wedged between the outer wall of the plant pot and the slate. To add to my woes, when I tried to carefully remove him from his grave, he disintegrated. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Either the silly sod got stuck, or it was his age. By my reconing he was at least 10 years old, but that isn't old compared to many of the fish I have kept over the years. Does anyone have any old zebbies? What are their lifespan?

His head was jammed in between the slate and the pot, and I suspect he was just too excited in exploring his new furniture that he got stuck and couln't get out. Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

I am now deviod of all my Zebra's, and all hope of obtaining in the future.

Thoroughly Gutted!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Sorry to hear about your loss Graham :(
I don't think their lifespan has been completely answered yet. But there are reports of zebra's that have been breeding for 15 years +, so it'd be fairly safe to assume they can live longer than 20 years.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

Sorry to here about this, it always sad when you lose any fish but to loose a zeb. well words aren't enough!

Al.C
GrahamH
Forum Follower

Post by GrahamH »

This was the little fellow:

Miss the little bugger!
:cry:
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1793

Trapping deaths do occur no matter how strong a fish might be.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
GrahamH
Forum Follower

Post by GrahamH »

I am still at a loss as to how I could have prevented his death, but he was just exploring.

I have been going through my archived pictures, and found some pics of my first zeb - brings back memories of the little so-and-so's - this was taken over 4 years ago.

eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

sorry for your loss,

you have a picture of where it got caught? probably would help others from stacking slate in that manner. i worried big time about the little ones getting caught as well so i used rounded riverstones to hold up the slate from each other.
GrahamH
Forum Follower

Post by GrahamH »

It was jst between the pot and the slate (not underneath the slate) it didnt seem possible, but he managed it somehow:

Please excuse the strings of poop from my other fish...!
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i am sorry to hear that. :(
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

oh, i see now. sorry again for asking you to re-live the horror but its much appreciated.

so do you still have it set up like so or did you rearrange it all?
GrahamH
Forum Follower

Post by GrahamH »

I have bedded the slates further into the gravel so that there is no gap at the base.

Not sure what I am going to do with the tank now...