To Add CO2 or Not

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
adrianhaslett
Groupie

To Add CO2 or Not

Post by adrianhaslett »

OK I've been doing some research because even though i've got a KH of 4 and a GH of 6 my PH is 7.9 so I have soft water but high ph. Confused me !. My fish are o'k but today i went and bought a couple of discus because I wanted some mid swimming nice fish that like soft water and are placid with my L No. Plecs inc Zebra Plec. I thought it's about time to sort this PH issue out at the moment I get a low KH etc by using a ratio of 50-50 RO to TAP.

On investigation I found that theere is a direct link to KH and CO2 to make PH so with my KH and PH I have a very low CO2 about 1.2 I reckon, so to lower PH I can add CO2. But I know nothing about adding CO2 apart from you can make your own system from yeast and suger but it's not controllable or buy a system that will be expensive with a 150 Gallon Tank.

So the question is - Will it be worthwhile to my fish to lower the PH with CO2 or shall I not bother. I know the L No's are fine but I don't know about the Discus.

Comments Please.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

DIY CO2 systems are only suitable for small tanks. Larger tanks, such as yours, WILL require pressurized CO2 systems, which can be expensive. But if your discus are tank bred fish, then they will be fine with your pH.
Koen
Forum Follower

Post by Koen »

hi,

As far I remember from the discus forums... Adding CO² highers the Ph value, it doesn't lower it...

Correct me if I am wrong
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

im pretty sure it lowers ph but theres something to do with GH/KH i believe that keeps the ph from fluctuating.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

eklikewhoa wrote:im pretty sure it lowers ph but theres something to do with GH/KH i believe that keeps the ph from fluctuating.
Your right, adding Co2 will lower the ph but having a high enough gh/kh will stop it fluctuating (although I think Kh is more important in that factor then Gh)
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I get confused too, so here's a link I used to remind me...
http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html