External filters, help me choose... please.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Thanks for all the tips... I suspected that Eheim made the better filters. I am looking at ebay at the moment. But with all that choice of different Eheim Professionals (I, II, III)...

I am now going to ask the last question:

For a 3ft tank what sort of flow rate should I be achieving?

And what is considered too much?

Again, thanks for the tips. I know that this could have been answered on another forum, but the relevance to zebra plecos would not have been as high.
Last edited by madmoroccan on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Hi all,

I am revisiting this topic because my girlfriend bought me an external filter, which she calls a "pond filter".

A Fluval Fx5 no less. I do however need to ask again...

How much filtration is too much?

I did calculations and it turns my tank over around 20 times an hour.

Also, how long do I need to leave it plugged in to seed it?
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

Not sure you can have too much filtration.. too much current but not filteration..

Seeding it in a mature tank or new tank? New would be same as a cycle. Mature tank should only take a week or two running beside your existing filter.
[url=http://www.mentoria.on.ca/fish/images/HPIM0036.JPG]Zoban's Main Tank[/url]
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Thanks for the answer Zoban,

If you know about the FX5 you will know that it has adjustable flow... Current is not the big issue. My thinking is that it may be turning the tank over too many times per hour, but I have read here that over 15 an hour is good, but never really found out what the maximum should be?

Can anybody shed light on this?

edit: My tank is mature, running on a Fluval Biolife with all the possible (expensive) media options. Also, would I not get an intant maturation of the FX5 if I used all the media from the biolife in different trays? Or should I just stick to running them side by side for a few weeks?

Regards

Bader
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I would say run them side by side. I'm not sure if lifting the biolife from one filter, exposing it to air, then placing it on another filter would cause some nitrifying bacteria to fall or dye off. The only way you would get the FX5 fully colonized if using the media from the other filter would probably be through a microscope.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I'd just take the filter material out of the biolife and put it straight into the fx5 then run it. Exposing the bacteria to the air won't make any difference as long as it isn't for long enough that the filter material dries out, but taking it out of one and putting it straight into the other will be fine...after all that's one of the benefits of using a trickle filter, exposure to oxygen.
Or you can run them side by side..the choice is yours really.

As for how may times to turn the tank over, I've heard of people having up to 30 times an hour, so I wouldn't worry too much. If the zebs look like they aren't enjoying it then turn it down otherwise I'd say it's fine.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Thanks for the replies C.E and PM, I value your input.

Firstly I'd like to say what a fantastic filter the Fluval FX5 really is. For the price I could have gone for a web deal on an Eheim Pro II. But I am glad my girlfriend didn't!!! It does everything for you this "pond filter" :lol:

I did some more calculations and it seems that I made a mistake in my previous post... 20 times an hour is an understatement, that was for 180 litres. I am keeping my group of 5 juveniles in a 60 litre as I simply didn't trust the 3 footer that they were in previously (I used to find lots of leftover food in the morning). Which brings me to say that IF I have the filter at full flow it would turn the tank over 60 times an hour!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Luckily the outlet and inlet are adjustable to the stage where you could think I have a sponge filter in the tank. :lol:

I have to say, the best thing about this filter is its ability to self-prime. My only wish is that they could have made it smaller (Fx3 maybe??? Fluval should pay me consultancy charges). It makes my living room look like an elf's den!!! :lol:

I have changed my mind about Fluval externals, this is one awesome bit of kit. And who says that our less knowledgeable partners can't pick a good filter??? Eh?

Rant over. 8)