" Live Foods " ?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
midnight pearl
Forum Follower

" Live Foods " ?

Post by midnight pearl »

Hi - All ,
Greetings from the other side of the world , i just bought my first Zebra plecos ( 2 juveniles + 1 adult male ) - so excited. Sold all my "Discus" fishes & just can afford 3 zebras at the momment . My dream fish since i was a little boy.
I was just wondering if any of you guys & girls feed your zebra's live 'earthworms ' or live 'blackworms ' or ever considered giving them ?
The reason being when i was breeding 'Discus ' i've used black & earthworms to promote them to breed .
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated .
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I wouldn't feed earthworms as they are generally far too big to be eaten by a zebraplec.

You could try blackworm and bloodworm, however there are potential health issues when adding live foods, and since they are no more nutritious than the frozen versions I would stick with frozen instead.

A word of warning though, I would not feed any blackworm or bloodworm to any juveniles. There have been several stories on here of members having given them to juveniles fish only for them to choke to death on them. Do a search on here and you'll probbaly find a thread talking about it.

Good luck with your zebs though, glad to hear you finally got some and welcome to zp.com :D

Plastic Mac
midnight pearl
Forum Follower

Post by midnight pearl »

Thanks "Plastic Mac" ,so i should just stick to Dried foods ie: Tetra Bits, shrimp pellets ,"Hikari" carnivores food,"Biotec" earthworm flakes ,sliced white fish ,cooked prawns, "OSI" Staple Granules ,"Nutrafin Max" sinking food tablets, "ORCA" Hi-Protein sinking Pellets,"JBL" Novo Fect Tablet food for vegetarian,"Spectrum" Discus formula.
I feed them - 1 variety of these foods "twice " to "three" times a day . How much amount of foods is too much for them ?
My 2 juvi's are 1 inch in size & the adult male is 8 cms in size , it is very very hard & expensive to buy them in OZ as currently only " 1" breeder in the whole country . These Plecos are restricted & banned to be imported to this country.So as their numbers are slowly on the rise sellers or brokers tends to wants to much $$$$$$$$ for them . So most people could only afford 1 or 2 for their show tanks -( they hide almost everytime anyway) . I'm currently trying to establish a colony of maybe 8 to 10 by this time next year ,so i think getting 1 or 2 juvi's slowly in time will allow me to achieve these goals. What do you think ?