filtration

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

charney

filtration

Post by charney »

Hello everyone. I have been in the hobby for a while and have always wanted to get zebras. I plan on setting up a thirty breeder and getting about seven one inch fish. Eventually I plan on breeding some of these guys using this tank. What do people recommend for filtration. I want to use a couple sponges and a a rena xp1 rated fpr a 55 gallon aquarium. What are you feelings on the xp1? In the past I have always tried to keep powerful canister filters that may suck up fry out of my breeding tanks, but the higher volume turner over and better oxygenation is appealing. What would you all use? Thanks for your time, its much appreciated. Mike
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The FilStar XP1 should be sufficient filtration. Although at 1", you should have no problems of fry getting sucked up into the filter. You can always use a pre-filter sponge over the intake in the future. I use a pre-filter sponge from a Mag 500 pump. The sponge has an opening on one side, that fits perfectly on a typical filter intake.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Hey crazy.eddie, how do you clean your sponge on the intake without get junk throughout yout tank?
Bobby
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The best method I found was to place a zip lock bag over the sponge, turn the filter off, zip close the bag as much as possible, carefully remove the sponge. But no matter how careful I am, I always seem to get junk from the sponge filter in the tank. My lazy method is swap out the sponge, while leaving the filter on, then do a gravel vac. I keep an extra sponge filter, so I can alternate sponges and it makes it easier since I always have a clean one ready.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

when i had a pre-filter on my tank i would siphon the sponge, it would get some loose debris. swap with second sponge like crazie.eddie and then finish off with a gravel clean.

as for the filter i woud spring for the xp2 or even xp3, more media options and its never a bad thing to have overfilteration imo.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

For the money, instead of a FilStar XP1 or XP2, go with an Eheim Ecco 2232, 2234, or 2236. The Ecco filters already come with the media and can be setup and running out of the box. The FilStars still require you to buy the extra media, therefore, will cost you more in comparison to the Eheim Eccos.

And if you're going with a canister filter, look into the Hydor inline heaters. They connect to the output line of the canister filter. This keeps your heater outside your tank, which makes the tank looking nicer without too much equipment in the tank. Plus it protects your fish from accidently getting burned by the heater if it was inside the tank.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i agree that the media cost is there but i got my xp3 from drfostersmith.com during the sale for $89.99 and after media cost it was much more filter than the eheim for the price.

on my zebra tank i got the classic eheim canister and it comes with media. great filters and super quiet operation, i got mine from a friends lfs so i got it for cheap.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Personally, I like eheim pro 2126 for my 30 gal zebra tank. It has a built in heater, so you don't have to worry about a heater and fry getting burn. I just make my own prefilter sponge on my intake. I love how quiet the filter is.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Yep, the internal heaters are good. I use a 2128 myself, which is why I started going with inline heaters.