Do zebs have a cave preference...with or without current?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Do zebs have a cave preference...with or without current?

Post by crazie.eddie »

I have a 40 gallon breeder setup (36"x18"x16") ready and waiting. I just picked up the stand and already have the tank, filter, heater, sand, and everything else. I'm planning to setup a 20 long (30"x12"x12") in the meanwhile for shrimps and otos and will eventually move both my zebs in there from my 10 gallon.

I've been thinking about the cave setups and since I already have a tile cutter and I know where to get the slates tiles, I can get a bit crafty in some designs.

I was wondering if you notice any preference as the direction of the opening of the caves your zebras have been occupying?

Do the zebs occupy the caves that have water current flowing into the cave entrances?

Do you notice any preference as far as water current with the alpha or dominant males?
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i dont have full grown zebras but my little ones like the current.

i have my caves pointing towards the front of the glass with a few that are a bit angled. my spraybar is also pointing towards the front glass and the currents gets directed into the caves. the biggest one i have likes the caves facing to the front with the current flowing into them.

my others like to hang around the powerhead and sometimes by the spraybar.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I have the same experience with my juveniles. With my tank setup

I find both of my juveniles occupying any of the 3 caves on the far right, which gets allot of the current from the filter. This is why I'm trying to find out if the adults carry the same preference, especially the pairs that are breeding.